Partners Competition, how to distribute?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I like the idea of collabs.
If you organized the mappers into skill levels and partnered them with someone of a similar skill level, it wouldn't be much different to what we have now, and you could really get it moving...You could work with someone you'd never think to work with.

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
I think there should be a "help a noob mapper" contest, where a "pro mapper" and a "noob mapper" (who can't map/is learning, has only just started) pair up, and the "noob mapper has to make the map, with advice and help etc from the "pro mapper" - the extent to which the "pro mapper" would be able to help should be discussed if this were to go ahead though.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I think there should be a "help a noob mapper" contest, where a "pro mapper" and a "noob mapper" (who can't map/is learning, has only just started) pair up, and the "noob mapper has to make the map, with advice and help etc from the "pro mapper" - the extent to which the "pro mapper" would be able to help should be discussed if this were to go ahead though.
That is a very interesting idea. Effectively set up an apprenticeship for the new guys. If nothing else, it would provide an interesting study of psychology :p

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
let's be honest. and it was stated already in this thread, i think
why would anyone who knows his mapping stuff actually be willed to help someone in a contest like that ?
i'm not the devil or anything obviously :D but it's just that simple, imo. who on earth would be willed to team up with someone and teach them 100000 things, which they should learn by themselves via practising, practising, practising....
on top of that it would feature 1 million unfair situations, so....

but i guess this wasn't a serious suggestions, anyways, so i'll crawl back into my cave :eek:

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
So did anyone want to do a collab? I might be interested depending on the project. My schedule is fairly loose, I generally have an hour or more a night to work on mapping stuff if so inclined.

lustygoat

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2009
Why just two people? Why not have some team captains, picking teams of 5 people and assigning out tasks? :p

Jan 31, 2008
Why just two people? Why not have some team captains, picking teams of 5 people and assigning out tasks? :p

It's hard enough as it is to split the work between two persons. Dealing with 4 people at the same time is very hard to organize well.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Dunno, I'd probably end up teaching my apprentice to use carve for everything.

Can I be paired with you? I wanna see a "carve map" Start with a block, 5120x5120 block and you have to carve your map out of it... OMG Contest Ideaz :O:O:O

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Doing a map submission as a collab should ALWAYS be accepted, but it should NEVER be mandated. Pick whomever you will if you want to do a collab.

Like most of these things, the solution is the tried and true formula:

Optional: yes. Forceful: no.

As to seemingly popular concerns, let me answer them individually:

"But I don't have any friends and good mappers would team up with good mappers!!"

...To make awesome maps. So? A collab doesn't necessarily mean the map will be better, in fact more often than not the exact opposite is true and a map's quality becomes inversely proportional to the amount of people working on it. If there is a prize, they'll have to share the prize which is a big deterrent in these things. If there isn't, you don't loose anything anyways, so who cares?

Bottom line, at most you risk putting out more good maps into the community. Oh gee, what a big problem!

"But some people are "PRO"!!"

First of all I despise the expression "pro". It manages to be both meaningless and conceited. You have plenty of time to make the map, you have plenty of time to make your team work, if you choose to have one. If you don't, go solo. Plenty of amazing things have been done solo, and plenty more will be done.

Someone will always be better than you, and someone will always be worse. Toughen up. The objective of these contests should be to inspire the community to put out great maps and have fun in the process. It's not for medals.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I think the 'experienced mapper pairing up with a new mapper' idea would only work with a few conditions.

Firstly, we'd need to make sure the experienced mapper wants to do it. And I dunno how many people would actually want to spend time helping one out in such a strong way.

Second, the new mapper can't be a truly new mapper. It would have to be somebody like Owlruler, Supertoaster, or myself - people who know Hammer, but haven't released many popular things. If you have truly new mappers who know very little, it'd be a waste of time for both the experienced mapper and the contest.

There's my two cents. If this happens, I claim somebody cool like (names off the top of my head, there are more cool people) Spud, Icarus, Nine, Youme, Ravidge, or Ace.