1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Overlays are gigantic

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kamrat Otis, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Kamrat Otis

Kamrat Otis L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have this block I want to put a road on, but whenever I choose an overlay and use the decal option on the block the overlay gets gigantic and I have no idea how to make it smaller. Hewlp

2. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Use the overlay option instead, it allows you to rotate, resize, and move overlays.

3. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think the decal tool only gets used for stuff that Valve wants to keep the same size every time so it stays looking sensible and realistic I.E blood and explosion burns.

4. Kamrat Otis

Positive Ratings:
    Using the overlay makes my road far too small, and I cant seem to make it bigger. Also, when I am testing the map the road is entirely black. Why?

5. gamemaster1996

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean you cant seem to make it bigger? And If it's entirely black them it's probably lighting that needs adjusting.

6. Kamrat Otis

Positive Ratings:
    I click and drag but then I just select something else, and in the properties window there doesn't seem to be any option to increase size.

I haven't added any lightning at all.

7. gamemaster1996

Positive Ratings:
    The road might be visible again if you add lighting and as for the size you just scale it like a brush.

8. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If your brushes for your road are cut into different sections you need to select the brush faces the overlay will display on.

9. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
  10. Kamrat Otis

Positive Ratings:
    Everything seems to be working now except one thing: My overlays now flicker, but they are okay once I stand close to them. How do I fix that?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  11. gamemaster1996

Positive Ratings:
    If that's in the SDK it's normal i think. If it's in game then i dont know. :blushing:

12. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    The texture you are using is a prop texture ?

13. Kamrat Otis

Positive Ratings:
    Custom textures.

14. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Custom as in you made 'em or custom as in you found 'em on here or somewhere? Because either way there might be something wrong with the VMF. $decal needs to be set to "1", and if it wasn't designed to be an overlay, it won't be. That I think would cause flickering.