Nuclear

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Thanks again Nipet.
With the water I am prettty sure I made it with all nodraw texture then just textures the top as water, not sure why it does that... Any theories?

Also, would the weird track lighting have anything to do with me having disabled vertex lighting and ticking yes in the 'Ignore surface normal for computing vertex lighting'?
I did these as I am trying to optimise as much as possible.
What are the best methods for optimising static_props?

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
about water..mb you use "cheap" eater texture,im not sure what can cause this..

about tracks..why do you need optimise em? i made a run with mat_wireframe 1 and map seemed well optimised and it still got room for increasing details and number of props. just when u compile with "normal" vrad -staticproplighting -staticproppolys are disable so vradcalculates light for brushes,and for props it just use simpler methodic:if prop is 51% or more in shadow it cast shadow on the entire prop

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I don't know if any of these have been mentioned already, sorry:
1. The gates open too late, I'd extend the trigger_multiples to at least double their size. (In my opinion, doors shouldn't open downwards, either.)
2. At least one medium Health Pack and one medium Ammo Kit didn't have the red overlays.
3. There was a small hole in one of the cliffs and the track went through the ground in one spot, but I suppose that's because it's still alpha and you haven't done the displacements yet.
4. This place gave the Blu team trouble though. It was obvious you could jump over it, but it was pretty finicky about it.

As for better track lighting: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8132

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
I don't know if any of these have been mentioned already, sorry:
1. The gates open too late, I'd extend the trigger_multiples to at least double their size. (In my opinion, doors shouldn't open downwards, either.)
2. At least one medium Health Pack and one medium Ammo Kit didn't have the red overlays.
3. There was a small hole in one of the cliffs and the track went through the ground in one spot, but I suppose that's because it's still alpha and you haven't done the displacements yet.
4. This place gave the Blu team trouble though. It was obvious you could jump over it, but it was pretty finicky about it.

As for better track lighting: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8132

Thanks for feedback :)

I will extend the triggers on the doors all through map, unfortunately I have downward doors as in some areas the doors would go through the roofs of buildings :p

Health and Ammo overlays I always forget about as I constantly change the positions, I will try to implement all overlays next version though.

Ill probably add Nipets suggestion on that ledge, removing the rock, flattening the ground and adding boxes/crates to jump up. Might also get rid of the ramp on reds side so it is harder for red to get up there, the small bridge next to it seems underused atm.

As for the ugly tracks, its not the shadows they are producing, more that the some lighting origins are underground so some come out fully shaded. To fix this I believe I need to run some -staticproplighting command, however I heard it adds filesize- which I don't want, so I may not bother during alpha :sleep:

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Updated to alpha 9, lots of exciting (and hopefully good) changes, especially to cap point 3!
Enjoy :)

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I missed it unfortunately but i played the last few min. It looks like you fixed that sentry spot fairly nicely from what ive scene, but i did see in spectator that rock i was telling you about, yup can still see through some walls. I dont no if you tried to fix it or not yet but just a heads up.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
oh i cant take a look atm as im not in moscow and wont be there till 31st,mb any screens ?

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks sausage, it seemed to play out well- bit to easy for blue though :)
@ Nipet, I havent got any screenies yet, Ill try to get some up later though.

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
ill take part in gd,and tell you more then. a quickrun showed only few things you may tune\fix:
a9_full.jpg

in other ideas i think you can try play with env_light ,aking ambient and ambient_hdr abit darker and decreasing ammount of fog. but thats just suggestions

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
Not sure if I chimed in with the map since I played this twice on gameday(s) already. Anyway, I like it until the end where blu enters the red base and everything will slow down to a halt for blu. Granted, it seems like there's no invincible engie spots since we kept on getting our stuff sapped (and in turn nobody plays engineer because of the half dozen of spies running around). But while the earlier areas are harder to defend, the last part is comparatively easy to do so.

And the second exit for the red spawn (which opens when blu captures the first), the first step of stairs is too high. You need to jump up to get on the stairs. I didn't take a screenie however.

Also noticed this little space as well, right by the cliff:
pl_nuclear_a90001.jpg

Last edited:

Zanpa

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 17, 2009
I was pushing the cart, and at the first hill, it pushed me in a big jump from the bottom to the end. I don't think it's a major problem, or even that it is possible to reproduce.

A good map, except for the last part I don't like very much. Maybe make the room bigger (like Badwater final cap) ?

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks for the feeds guys :)

@ Penpen, Im making the rest of the map a bit easier for red, it seems to almost always come down to the last point in most cases. I am also fixing those stairs next version.

@ Fearlezz, don't remember asking for any custom particles:p What are they like?

@zanpa, I'm not quite sure what to do about the last point, Ill have to have a think about it- as the whole map rotates around the inside bit its hard to make it bigger:unsure:

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
too bad i was late for this map. gonna watch demo and give you a feed as soon as i got time

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Well here is a unexpected, unheard of, unbelieveable (ok that was a bit to over the top :p) revival to this map that brings changes that I thought it really needed.

Alpha 10!

Ill try not to bore you out with generic patch notes, but to be honest this alpha has changed so many things with map, such as enlarged/ changed the final cap and totally redesigned areas 1 to 2 as well as 3 to 4 that I hope all the major layout problems have been justified.

Random screenies that have no revelance to the new changes (part from the first one)

pl_nuclear_a10i_test20001.jpg

pl_nuclear_a10i_test20002.jpg

pl_nuclear_a10i_test20003.jpg

pl_nuclear_a10i_test20004.jpg

Please enjoy :D

Garner

Aug 16, 2009
this map is looking really really good, im loving the nucleus reactor effect :D

Waif

Mar 22, 2009
Thanks guys:)

Bit of an update to alpha 12, mainly just balance issues have been tweaked plus a bit of detailing on blues intial spawn buildings.

Small images so the page doesn't jump :(

pl_nuclear_a12a0000.jpg

pl_nuclear_a12a0001.jpg

pl_nuclear_a12a0002.jpg

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
Just played this for gameday and wanted to share thoughts

Overall, I really liked this map. At first I thought it was a bit hard for blu, though the last round did prove me wrong a bit.

I do think that the first point is a little bit long though, I feel like it should be broken down or something. Also, there are a TON of alternate paths and sentry spots that it makes it a bit confusing, you may want to tone this down a little bit. (But not by much cause it is still awesome with how many you have)

I love the cart, it looks fantastic!

For the last point, it feels like Red SHOULD have easier access up to the balcony above the final point, but they don't. I think this was the only point in the map where blue had the advantage, and that just didn't feel right especially given that it is the final point.

Hope that helps. :)