Normal time range for large compile ???

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
you just want to make your leafnodes smaller. I'm not sure how else to explain it. Whilst icarus linked a valid tut it's not quite got what you want to know about larger area optimisation (except maybe the end, if applied with intuition). Take a look at granary decompiled.. that would probably help you better understand. As that has large area's covered by hint brushes. Each brush limits the extent of a leafnode and thus what will inevitably be rendered ingame via the leafportals.

That isn't necassery, just plonk a hint brush there just like a normal window. A nodraw would block light and put nasty shadows over your window models.

Yeah, I was thinking that in regards to using hint/skip on the windows. So let me ask you this. On a window using a model in which you have a frame but the glass is actually a brush you can see through, do you func detail the glass and then put a hint skip to fill in the entire window area so it's flat with wall?

And has anybody looked at why that one face of the building is black and void of any light?

So you don't have to do a compile, here's the bsp file. Run the map, spawn as Red and look to the side that has the large mountain in the skybox and just behind the security fence you will see the building with a black side. It's not a texture thing, I don't know what the hell is going on with that? I have noticed also that a few of my concrete floor edges near the dirt are really super dark also. It's wierd.

Oh, and this is the first beta release of the map. Played it on server today and everybody really enjoyed it. Stupid door model in large building somehow got removed and you can see to the skybox from inside but no matter, it was a beta and I really just wanted to test the layout and game play.

Thanks and if anybody can find out why that once face is black, I sure would like to know. I have checked everything I know of. Thanks agian.

EDIT - and one thing my testers noticed is that some of the rocks from the stock apline maps that I downloaded here are showing up as purple checkered, even though I added them to bsp via pakrat. ???

http://zona.nikegames.net/Misc/Hammer/Map%20Screen%20Shots/shabbytown/cp_shabbyville_b1.zip

Last edited:

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
I just noticed something in regards to the dark areas discussed in previous post. When I look at the 3d light map grid view, those areas mentioned are greenish with dark blue lines while all the other area that are correctly lit are white with blue lines. What does that signify?