no shadows

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Part of the reason why it could look bad is that dynamic shadows aren't very good to begin with. They are notorious for showing up on the wrong side of brushes.

Mar 23, 2013
They are notorious for showing up on the wrong side of brushes.

that's one of the reasons why I play with shadows on low. Imo low setting shadows look much more realistic then the "high"-shadows. The way they can overlap with eachother and are being unafected by surrounding lights makes them pretty ugly, but that's just my opinion.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
that's one of the reasons why I play with shadows on low. Imo low setting shadows look much more realistic then the "high"-shadows. The way they can overlap with eachother and are being unafected by surrounding lights makes them pretty ugly, but that's just my opinion.
shadows in high mode are unaffected by surrounding lights?! That's just bullshit

Mar 23, 2013
the only thing the shadowgraphic settings affect are the real-time shadows, which are used for dynamic objects (debris, prop_dynamic, players, physical objects, buildings). The shadows are only affected by the shadow_control entity, and imo look pretty bad and dated for reasons I mentioned in my previous comment. Setting them to low looks a lot better imo, but as a mapper you should still care about the shadow settings in your map since most people play with shadows set to high since they aren't very demanding.

Maybe I'm just too nitpicky but once I saw the shadows overlaping I just couldn't unsee it thats why I set them to low. well, It's old tech from HL2 after all

schattenbug6yy95.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Don't newer engine branches let you have multiple shadow controllers that affect different zones, so you can have directly-overhead ones for indoor areas etc.?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Even if they did, don't expect tf2 to use any of said branches.