No more VMEXing for you

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
I think first and foremost the most respectful way to learn how a map did something is to ask the author. You might just end up learning more or understanding better that way.

I think it's rather disrespectful to the author if your questions happen to be as simple as figuring out the name of a texture used, or a prop, or the setting on a light entity... :closedeyes:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think it's rather disrespectful to the author if your questions happen to be as simple as figuring out the name of a texture used, or a prop, or the setting on a light entity... :closedeyes:

Trust me on this, its saddening to be asked about something in your map when theres a tool specifically for finding stuff like that out. If you have a qustion about how I did something in hoodoo or halfacre: Go decompile it before asking me, I hate having people ask randomly via steam, especialy as the people that ask me such questions also plague me with other similarly annoying questions. Not that the questions are annoying themselves or even the people asking them, its more that The information they want is already on the internet, either in a tutorial or in the VDC and they don't bother to go looking for it, rather taking the easy option and asking someone.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
See, I guess I don't see finding a material or some single entity setting something worth asking the author or decompiling the map. My statement was made more about complicated or unusual things that make you go "wow, how did he do that", in which case you might get a better understanding by asking. Simple things are simple things, and don't need to be answered either method. (mat_crosshair, btw, for finding a material)

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
My statement was made more about complicated or unusual things that make you go "wow, how did he do that", in which case you might get a better understanding by asking.

Oh, alrighty. Now that I think is worth asking about. Any TFC veterans here who remember the "escape map" genre, and its creator, the fellow who made thegame, k_thegame_r, and k_thegame2_r?

I'm friends with him. :) It's good fun swapping mapper's insight on the more complex things such as puzzle theory.

Also, I just realized you can find out a material using a console command. :rolleyes:

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
This is why I don't support decompiling:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/85245?posts_page=1

ctf_2fort to cp_3fort (don't ask me why because there are just 2 forts...)

Credits:
valve - layout
drifterofhell - everything else

Love how he says Valve layout (when it's just the same map) and then he says he made "everything else" (changing the entities to a CP.

Notice the special features:

-No guns
-Only scout map

samn

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 28, 2008
Meh. I don't really mind that. It's not like you can do much about it, the map is never going to get played and it's obvious it was never made by the map's original author.