New Updates?

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
Just tested out the "obj_sentrygun". The model in hammer is facing the opposite direction from how it shows up in game. The entity works the same way a regular sentry gun does, spies' can sap them and engineers can de-sap and repair them just like a normal sentry gun.

Foreverkul

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 12, 2008
O man, it looks cool and all but...didn't they think we'd want to SET the health of a sentry? Not just invuln but be able to set how much HP it has :(

Dec 25, 2007
The model in hammer is facing the opposite direction from how it shows up in game.
Go to its properties, and set the animation to "Refpose" in the model tab.

O man, it looks cool and all but...didn't they think we'd want to SET the health of a sentry?
Then put in a logic_auto and use the inputs to add or remove health.

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
I'm currently upgrading es_cave with the new payload stuff.

Once i've got it working i'll make a tutorial, or maybe just a list on entities and what they do, or sleep :thumbup:

trainRiderJ

Mar 14, 2008
I'm currently upgrading es_cave with the new payload stuff.

Once i've got it working i'll make a tutorial, or maybe just a list on entities and what they do, or sleep :thumbup:

Any chance you'll make es_cave bigger or add more stages? I love that map personally but it's so small :(

Foreverkul

Apr 12, 2008
Wish there were a few more features for entry guns like:
ammo control
health control
attack blue and red (and not other sentries with this set)
start off/on (and turn off and on as well as not attack)

I tried 0, 1, 4, Any, and <none> in the team filter and what happened is it looked blue, but attacked only blue (and not red), but red engineers cannot heal it (wrench kills)

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
as interesting as it is, I cant see a practical use for having a non-player sentry in a TF2 map anyway.

Foreverkul

Apr 12, 2008
as interesting as it is, I cant see a practical use for having a non-player sentry in a TF2 map anyway.

Have a sentry guard a neutral flag
Alternate routes that have sentries
random/trigger event
Defend a capture point (or kill it to capture a point)
More that I can't think of now though.

hydrage

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2008
In TFC, several old maps had an invulnerable sentry gun guarding the spawn area from the enemy team. It's hard to spawn camp when an invulnerable sentry gun is shooting you up.

In a map I'm working on, I'd like to have an invulnerable sentry gun guarding some spawn rooms tied to control points, but I need to figure out a way to make the sentry gun have infinite ammo and also switch teams based on which team owns the associated control point.

One comment about the invulnerability, though: I would've expected to see some kind of visible difference from a standard engineer's sentry gun, maybe something like a Medic's uber "force-field" surrounding the sentry gun. Or something. People playing a custom map won't be happy to find out they're wasting their time trying to destroy an invulnerable sentry gun.