new hammer functionality

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Lightmap support for models would be nice which would also mean multiple UV channel support as well. Come on, Valve. The developers of Zeno Clash managed it. >_>

I still wonder how complex lighting on models is in Source. I've been playing Left 4 Dead recently, and I've seen stuff that should be impossible without lightmapping props, and other places where props are definitely not lightmapped. *shrug*

I also would love it if they'd update VRAD to do the whole "shadows get blurrier as they get further away from the light source" thing. Those two are probably the biggest things standing between Source and photorealism, right now.

Dr. KillPatient

L3: Member
May 10, 2009
My Hammer for TF2 works, but my Gmod config for Hammer still doesn't have a grid or anything. Do you have to update it specially?

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
The only thing i want for hammer is realtime lighting preview, and i will be happy.

That and lightmaps on models would be the best thing ever to come to hammer.

Just to poke those who've never looked outside of hammer.

UDKModel.jpg

The entire scene is 1 model.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Josh, I compel you to port all of the TF2 content over to the unreal engine and show us what it would be like :p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Whats that? no anti aliasing? *loses interest*

Seriously, any 3D engine that cannot do it does not deserve to be mentioned. As long as there are horrid jagged lines all over the place, unreal never ever will be as good as source.

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008

Seriously, any 3D engine that cannot do it does not deserve to be mentioned. As long as there are horrid jagged lines all over the place, unreal never ever will be as good as source.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the unreal engine 3. It needs quite the modern system to run decently, but it still doesn't take advantage of any of the newer technology.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Arguing whether Hammer, UDK, CryEngine, etc are better or worse than each other is really splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things. Most games don't have tools anywhere near the user-friendliness of those.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

Is it just me or is the bump mapping not being handled as well either? The bricks look odd.

What I really want to see is an environment from one of the better looking UE games recreated in Source. See if it's noticeably worse off for it.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Josh, I compel you to port all of the TF2 content over to the unreal engine and show us what it would be like :p

You know, I think I might port some stuff over for the hell of it as well.