Nasty shadows on displacments

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by invertMASA, Jan 31, 2014.

1. invertMASA

invertMASA L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    So got these lovely shadows going on here and I dont want them. I know I could smooth out the cliff walls a little, but I really like them ridged. I tried putting in a shadow_control and make the shadow distance shorter but that did not help:confused:

Thank you guys, I know your pry sick of all my questions. Really really appreciate all your help!
    [​IMG]

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Those are not dynamic shadows so your shadow_control will do sod all.

That looks like you've got a nodraw brush intersecting the displacement. Alternatively, your light_environment settings are silly (Which looks to be the case anyway, grab the values off the wiki https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Sky_List)

3. invertMASA

Positive Ratings:
    Good to know, and that is where I got them, I will try a different set

4. invertMASA

Positive Ratings:
    Ok tryed a few new lighting styles and none of them fixed it. I do have some nodraw brushes behind it to seal the map in. That would not be doing it would it?

5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    if they poke through the displacement, yes. Otherwise it shouldn't matter.

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have something in the 3D skybox that (while perhaps not visible) would cast shadows on that location?

7. invertMASA

Positive Ratings:
    I set all the props in there to disable shadows but still no luck :(, It looking like im going to have to smooth out my cliffs.

8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    They already look pretty damn smooth, post pictures from hammer, as well as different angles ingame please