Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
ohOrjb4.png

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
Thats not the problem. I redid the skybox to be more optimized. If you want I can re upload it with the newer version

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
nah, I believe you, still can't find anything glaringly wrong. I also did the selection box thing on your vmf that I was confusing you with, and it didn't select anything, so yet again, that was a swing a miss.

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
Uhg, so will I just have to compile with cordon bounds forever on this map?

Oct 6, 2008
have you run your entire compile log through interlopers?

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
Yes. Nothing shows up. Nothing also shows up in the problem checker.

Oct 6, 2008
Ok - this is a real pain in the ass type thing to do - but sometimes you have to:

1. check all your game logic - make sure no bugs and that it's all coded correctly - this can be very tricky
2. do a vis compile - now what I men by this is:

In your vis panel on the side make sure the entire panel is open - uncheck everything, then check one item, compile map - did it crash?

yes - one of the items in that group is causing the issue
no - repeat the above moving onto the next item in the list

Oh - just remembered this one - caused me 8 hours of headaches once to find the source - make sure you don't have any entities inside a brush - I think I had a light or orphaned path track inside a brush - it was something really small and blended into my map when looking at the grids.

This might also be a cause - let's say you have a corner - then you put a roof into that corner using two pieces so that it touches the wall - then lets say you slope the two pieces to have a nice looking roof so that the edge of the roof is taller(against the wall) than the out edge (where it's open) - then if you select both pieces AND THEN make it into ONE func_detail and if you have any lights around it the item in question will cause a crash - these objects need to be made as individual pieces and the crash will stop.

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
Um, how would any of that explain the map not crashing when I select the entire map with the cordon tool and compile?

Oct 6, 2008
It doesn't effect anything in hammer at all or the compile process but it does cause the game to crash on load or shortly thereafter.

Beetle

Aug 17, 2008
I second the entity in a brush thing. One time I forgot to turn a trigger into an entity, and of course had light fixtures inside it. It took me forever to realize that was what was causing the problem.