Multi-stage map with changing goal systems

endyss

L1: Registered
Aug 22, 2008
I've been contemplating a new map idea, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me before I started in whether it was even possible. Can you make a map with multiple stages (e.g. dustbowl, hydro) where the goal system used in each stage is different?

The basic idea I'm thinking of works something like this:
  • Stage 1: Attack & Defend - Blue Team captures a set of points progressively pushing the defending Red Team back, similar in concept to cp_dustbowl. If the last point is capped, it shifts to the second stage. If not, Red wins.
  • Stage 2: Regular CP - both teams run to capture a central point, then pushes back and forth to reach the last point of the other team, similar in concept to cp_well. If Blue Team wins this stage, it shifts to the third stage. If Red Team wins, it reverts back to the first stage.
  • Stage 3: Payload - Blue Team has to guide a bomb on rails past a defending Red Team to reach the final point, pretty standard payload map. If they do it, they win and the teams change. If Red Team defends, they move back to stage 2.

Does this make sense? Is it possible on a single map? Is it even a good idea?

I suppose it might also work to have stage 1 be a center point and EITHER team could advance (make stage 1 the cp_well style and stage 2 the attack & defend cp_dustbowl style), but that would effectively double an already pretty hefty workload.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
The only one I think you can't do is the middle stage. Other then that, I think it will work.

endyss

Aug 22, 2008
What about it won't work? Having it switch to either stage 1 or stage 3? Couldn't the logic determine that based on who wins?

endyss

Aug 22, 2008
Uh oh, it looks like based on this thread that it would be impossible for the game to change HUDs mid-map. Does that mean just the overall style of the HUD (since all three stages I'm considering are "CP" in one form or another), or would the change from attack/defend CP to tug-of-war CP to payload CP require a HUD change?

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Payload is the problem there. Otherwise, you should be ok.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
The only one I think you can't do is the middle stage. Other then that, I think it will work.
You can do the middle stage. Example:

Stage 1 has cp 1 and 2
Stage 2 has cp 2 3 and 4 (where 3 is central - it could be 3 4 5 as well).
Stage 3 has 5-8 depending on how many you want.

If stage 1 is won then stage 2 starts at:
2 blue, 3 neutral and 4 red.
then if red takes them all they automaticly go back to stage 1 except that the first point is taken. but with some I/O you can also fix that.

When blue lost stage 3 just set the owners back to red in that stage just before the round_win is used and also make sure that stage 2 is set back to its original state using I/O again.

Also, make sure not to activate the map resetting where that isnt needed or you would end up in stage 1 again.

The stage that gets played is determined by the stage with the earliest priority. However, if that stage had set that only blue can win and all cps in it are taken by blue then it isnt counted as unplayable and so wont be played. This is because blue already has the win condition meaning a insta win. So if that map changed so blue doesnt get a insta win again (cp2 is red again) then that stage has to be played again

Hud changing is a problem at the moment. From A/D CP to linear CP all works fine. However, from CTF to CP or PL gives problems.

endyss

Aug 22, 2008
I suppose the map idea could also be done with Stage 3 just being plain CP style (with 2 CPs on stage 1 and 3 CPs on stages 2 and 3, to fit in the 8 CP limit). The theme was to set the 3rd stage in an ACTUAL mine, however, hence why I thought the Payload inclusion would fit best.

I wonder why they don't let you have multiple HUD types in a single map. It wouldn't be that hard to have the game logic query for whichever HUD type you want when it moves between stages...

endyss

Aug 22, 2008
I posted this question back in February and the general consensus was that my idea was only prevented by the inability to change the HUD mid-level.

To recap, I'd like to create a map where the game type changes (for example from CP to payload) from one stage to another.

However, I noticed today that back in the January 28th, 2009 patch, the patch notes stated:
  • Added flag to the gamerules entity so map authors can override the HUD type being used. Allows map authors to force CTF or CP HUD to be used if they mix CTF/CP entities in the map
(Source)

How exactly does this work? I dug through the forums and developer.valvesoftware.com and didn't find any specifics on this flag.

Finally, if I set a map type to Payload, can I use this flag to override one stage's HUD to be a CP type? For example, a 3 stage map where Stage 1 is CP and Stages 2-3 are Payload.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Is it even a good idea?

Personally, I think it would end up being a very long game, but there are ways of course that you could prevent that. How it will effect the fun and gameplay though.. well you have to try these things I suppose.

endyss

Aug 22, 2008
Personally, I think it would end up being a very long game, but there are ways of course that you could prevent that. How it will effect the fun and gameplay though.. well you have to try these things I suppose.

Ya, hence why I've backed off of the tug-of-war style and I'm looking to do it as just a straightforward attack-defend style. I'd just like to see the first stage be CP, then Blue "acquires the payload" and rolls it in for the last two stages.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
I look forward to the day we can have payloads and CPs in one map :)