Mound

Kronack

L2: Junior Member
Oct 26, 2009
A dropdown there would seem like a good area for a flank. But I don't really think it makes sense as a way to get out of line of sight of a sentry. It would imply you, as an enemy to that sentry, already went within two inches of the sentry itself, just to jump down to the ammo pack. I do have a few ideas for the dropdown, though, and a way to make sentries not as useful up there.

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
koth_mound_a30000-1.jpg

Yes, I'm using an old screen shot for now, it is still pertinent.

Red area - Looks like for the most part that stairway and platform is unused.

Green - Wankhouse presented me with that idea, the sniping platform could lead to a small room with a dropdown onto the enemy team's ammo box area.

Purple - Gonna add a wall and some windows to hopefully take away a tad bit of the open-ness

Maybe also connect the outside platform to the room with the dropdown?

Also for some reason it won't let me claim my map. Even though I am logged in through steam using the big ol' button in the corner.

matou

Oct 25, 2008
The new lights to show the bottom path definetly help to show that it exists :) good change there :D

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Dropdown is good but connecting that side platform with building with dropdown was bad idea.
Now it is too easy to flank enemy.
Get rid of that new way in building where dropdown is and you got a good map.

Mar 23, 2010
also, there was an annoying light sticking up around the point from the undermound route. it was behind that wall. i think i put some feedback on it.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
One big gripe with this map is how open it is.
I rarely complain about such things because it's not often an actual problem.

However. This map is just.. out there. After exiting the spawn area you are presented with the whole map all at once and I can see straight over to the enemy side within seconds of spawning. IF I were to play sniper on this map (I actually haven't yet) I wouldn't have to work very hard to get a decent sightline from any given position.

Demo/Soldier have amazing movement capabilities around the map, because there is nothing to stop their mad flights.
Engineers can setup viable mini sentries everywhere. It was like the whole map was a decent sentry spot, just plop it down as close to the enemy side of the map as you can.

Secondly. The point is not very exciting.. It doesn't really cater to any class in particular.. which I guess kinda works. But it's just a big empty space where you can get shot from all directions.

Sorry, I don't have any practical solutions at hand, but I hope my thoughts are of some help.

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009

However. This map is just.. out there. After exiting the spawn area you are presented with the whole map all at once and I can see straight over to the enemy side within seconds of spawning. IF I were to play sniper on this map (I actually haven't yet) I wouldn't have to work very hard to get a decent sightline from any given position.

Demo/Soldier have amazing movement capabilities around the map, because there is nothing to stop their mad flights.
Engineers can setup viable mini sentries everywhere. It was like the whole map was a decent sentry spot, just plop it down as close to the enemy side of the map as you can.

Secondly. The point is not very exciting.. It doesn't really cater to any class in particular.. which I guess kinda works. But it's just a big empty space where you can get shot from all directions.

Sorry, I don't have any practical solutions at hand, but I hope my thoughts are of some help.

Thanks for the input.

So far from the most recent gamedays demos I've looked at, snipers haven't ever dominated that map, even when one the teams had 3 of them. They can get some really gnarly sightlines, but from what I've seen so far they are forced to get close to the action if they want to.

In the most recent update I made it so soldiers can't get into the enemies side building by rocket jumping, other than that I never saw any major problems with demos and soldier. I may make it so they can't get on top of the one building that's lower than the rest, but even there I never saw any camping, since there is no ammo or health up there and they can be easily sniped.

I agree and disagree with the control point being boring. Now that it is easier to see the bottom and surrounding pit of the map, hopefully that will spice it up, but I do think I need to hurry up and get an idea to spice up the capture area itself.

Also, update the map, changed the path back and added some health. Hopefully one or two more gamedays and it will be ready for beta :)
Gonna get update screenshots up soon.

Mar 23, 2010

feedback scares me. koth map im working on has the same thing. i never found it too bad either though. it makes the map really exciting, and flank-friendly. maybe too flank-friendly.

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
Didn't know my map got played yesterday until I saw the feedback, lol.
It seems A5 was played and not A5B, so for now the too easy to flank comments can be disregarded.
I got some different comments on the lighting, some say it was just fine, some say it was too dark. Anyone who played it yesterday care to weigh in?

Also update to a5c

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
Gameday bump
Looks like the next update will set me in to beta.

By the way, what did everyone think of the lighting? For the most part I just threw in enough stuff to make it light enough, but one or two people though it was ok.

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
Will do.

So, I'm about to start detailing a bit...
I've looked at a tutorial about base facades in a map, but it only covered push CP and CTF maps, how does it work with koth maps? Because looking at sawmill and viaduct, both seem pretty neutral throughout.

Apr 13, 2009
Well sawmill is 'special' because it used to be an arena map initially, so it's pretty neutral overall. You'll find that viaduct is well devided between red and blu wall textures, though they use the exact same architecture.
Overall, it depends on your detail theme, and there's no real koth masterpiece to look up to, but you can go with the 5-cp guide and consider that the spawns are in the middle of each side's facade. If you're going to use any kind of spytech stuff, probably best to keep it inside the spawn, as a hint that there may be more beyond the playable area.

Kronack

Oct 26, 2009
ALRIGHT.
After taking a little break I'm back, and now mound is in beta
Did some detailing, it's my first real attempt at detailing so feel free to call it shitty
Also I think I may have put too many red light thingies on the radio tower.
Also there is now a building on the point, instead of walls, I guess.

I'm trying the sawmill approach of making all the textures neutral, since for the most part the fighting in this map doesn't really rely on people retreating back to the spawn.
It's also because I haven't learned how to pakrat and I'm afriad I'll learn it wrong and fuck something up.
So yeah
Updated.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Both sides of the map look the same, bro. I understand the whole neutral thing but there is no way of knowing what side you are on.