KotH Montane

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Bah.
Sorry everyone if your expectations fell slightly short, I wasn't able to get beta 1 finished by gameday. It fixes most of the issues that were complained about and more.
Also that one issue on the RED side with the odd dead-end that traps you, well, I'll have to take a look at the replay for that.
Thanks for the test, anyway.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
BETA 0 RELEASED

2012-07-30_00002.jpg

2012-07-30_00003.jpg

2012-07-30_00004.jpg

2012-07-30_00005.jpg

2012-07-30_00006.jpg

Download

Changelog: (oh dear lawd)
- Detailed BLU spawn
- Detailed mid a bit
- Detailed BLU yard and paths to mid
- Detailed most interiors
- Properly lighted most interiors
- Occluders used mildly for optimization (still needs more optimization!)
- Made a 3d skybox
- Clipped vigorously
- Edited a lot of the OOB parts of the map overall
- Fixed hopefully everything with the custom props
- A lot of insignificant small things

BUGS:
- Areaportal cuts through a slight portion of a visible func_detail and causes slight visual disdain
- FPS isn't as good as I'd like
- 3d skybox's shadows do not properly match with the edge of the playable area
- 3d skybox fog is a little off

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
That lighting doesn't really fit together with Badlands skybox and is pretty damn bright in general.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Beta 1(b) released.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84556731/koth_montane_b1b.bsp.bz2

Changelog:
Detailed RED Spawn
Removed all traces of dev materials
Detailed insides more
Changed layout slightly
Prepped for detail overhaul for RED side
Optimized
A lot of tiny little insignificant things

Get ready for me to change the RED detailing. I don't like it too much anymore and others don't too. I might not get it done by the 30th but I'll get it done soon.

No pics because not much that could be screenshot was changed.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
B2 RELEASED : :
DOWNLOAD

changes:
Detailing is changed a bit.
Planned out the rest of the changes.
Overlays remade.
Layout tweaked.
Tons of little tiny things that just made it better.

2012-08-25_00001.jpg

2012-08-25_00003.jpg

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
okay
LeSwordfish with his contest review:
The beams all over the map, dozens and dozens of them with the textures in entirely the wrong direction.
...that forced me to go around the map fixing all the misaligned textures
My god, there were literally hundreds. Thank you for pointing that out. For some reason I hadn't noticed until now.
So I spent some hours fixing them and...
...quit when I saw this:
misalignedmadness.png

I wonder what I was on to make me do that

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I definitely pointed that out in feedback, as did others, for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
okay
LeSwordfish with his contest review:

...that forced me to go around the map fixing all the misaligned textures
My god, there were literally hundreds. Thank you for pointing that out. For some reason I hadn't noticed until now.
So I spent some hours fixing them and...
...quit when I saw this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84556731/misalignedmadness.png[IMG]

I wonder what I was on to make me do that[/QUOTE]

take the whole thing, rotate 90, lock texture alignment, rotate back. done.

[quote="Wilson, post: 269447"]That lighting doesn't really fit together with Badlands skybox and is pretty damn bright in general.[/QUOTE]

that sort of lighting is one of my favorite sights irl - when you see clouds, but they have cleared behind you and the ground already is sunlit. looks cool and eerie at the same time

though it does makes little sense when the whole skybox is cloudy :p

TheKieranator

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 6, 2011
Montane

Aesthetics

Final Aesthetics Score: 81

• Montane is classic generic TF2. The brushwork is pretty good and the architecture is varied. The assymetrical detailing of the map keeps it interesting and makes it less of a copy-paste layout.
  • Your use of props to create mini-scenes adds to the map and gives it a bit of history. That being said, prop placement tends to draw attention to the sides and up away from the important areas.
  • The sudden clash of red and blue buildings instead of using more neutral colours is unusual but it works. There are a lot of repeated colours and textures though, so phasing in neutral colours would help break that up.
  • Texture alignment is something that urgently needs your attention. There are hundreds of cases where textures aren't facing the right direction, particularly on wooden supports and the edges of roofs.
  • A few overlay signs and posters are too big and sometimes feel like they were added just to cover up a blank surface without really adding anything to the map.
  • The lighting doesn't match the skybox and there are some issues on some props and surfaces. That being said, there are no dark areas and all the important things are lit up.
  • Your 3d skybox is good, but the industrial building in the blue side doesn't look like it's right size.

Technical

Final Technical Score: 70

• When I loaded the map my console was turned an alarming shade of red. It was mostly prop collision models, some of which was skybox, but there was also an issue with a custom skybox texture.
  • I had a pretty decent framerate here, better than I get on Viaduct. The only thing I can advise is to put some func_occluders into any windowless walls that face the central area to cut down on prop rendering.
  • Clipping was not so great; most, if not all, support beams were unclipped so players can easily get caught or hide up where they shouldn't.

imgur album with additional notes

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021