Monopod

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Deloras, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Deloras

Deloras L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hum I just realized the water was a fps eater... I've 120 fps when I look at the ceiling, and 60 when I look down. Is there a cheap water texture that have a good render on huge surface?

2. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Uploaded A3 and new pictures.

3. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    There are cheap water shaders, I *think* they all have the word 'cheap' in their names. Note that they don't reflect the world though.

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Texture in toolsblack, then it'll be realistic and cheap. :3

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    :facepalm:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    As I told you, I think a particle system used under the water could do the trick for the ship wreckage.

If you're going to use cheap water, beware of the cubemaps because they'll have a strong effect on your ocean.

7. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    A4 uploaded, feel free to run it and share your impression.

8. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    A6 uploaded, I think the layout can be validate for A and B so far. C is in good way to get validate too.

The actual version is absolutely playable. Feel free to run it on your server and give me your opinion.

9. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Uploaded A6a and associated pictures.

10. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    A7 uploaded, now textured.

11. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    The first route to A I saw (as RED) took me down a vent, that I then had to rocketjump out of it only to then fall out of infront of A, leaving me with low health to defend the point. I don't really like how the orange...craney thing pointing toward the boat is clipped to push you off...I guess it needs something to stop players camping out on there but...not playerclip that pushes you off. Billboards on the boat are floating.

B and C seem fairly balanced although it was difficult to cap A (and then difficult to defend it, so possibly team inbalance). Maybe cap times are too long...

I can imagine that it could be a very nice looking map though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Wilson

aa Wilson Boomer by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    It felt like map was way too big.
    Rooms were huge, walking distances were long and there was some long sightlines everywhere.

Cp's cap way too long and once blue gets past spam near cp1 they are given ablity to flank cp1 defenders maybe even too well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Mr.Late

Mr.Late L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You need to add a lot of clipping, like the vents from C -> A were badly clipped.

For me the map didn't feel too big and IMO the rooms weren't too big. Cap time is too long though. Red can respawn and run to the point even they just died before BLU started capping.

It felt a bit too blocky, like squares after squares. Add some more interesting geometry.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the feedbacks

Actually, what you understood as a bad clipping in the vents was a little player clip that helps the trigger_push doing his work when the vents get closed. The trigger_push doesn't take you in the air without that little clip. I turned it into a func_brush that is start disabled, then enabled by the capture of A point. No more blocking in the vents.

To those who found the map too big, I ensure you that in 12vs12, the map has a regular size.

I also reduced the A capture time from 40 to 32.

For the rest... It's hard to say if A point needs less flank route as it seems difficult to attack though.

About the optimization... A8 will be better. I'm working hard to keep a high framerate everywhere on the platform. But I agree that A7 suffers of a lack of optimization.

Thanks again for the testing.

15. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't really feel too big to me, less big would be cramped and prone to spam. There's a fair bit of walking when attacking B, especially as a slower class, at some point I wished we had the forward spawn after capping A. Having at least one offensive engineer seems compulsory for the teleporter but overall that's probably alright.
    Many flanking routes, I'm not sure they're all needed. The layout can be disorienting due to the theme, but signs seemed to be sufficient, I was never lost for more than a few seconds.
    The gameday was underpopulated though, that much is clear, and it seems that teams were fairly imbalanced as well, so overall not ideal testing conditions..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Lyzak

Lyzak L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I... don't think this is Alpha stage anymore.
    By the way, great map =)
    I hope mine turns out... it seems to be having issues >.<

17. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Updated with A8 link, tell me if you have normal fps on it.

18. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Here is some detailing work:

A crane, made by a friend (Vader_666):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the flare:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty awesome stuff. You should make a custom water texture that's black with white accents on minor waves.

20. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    It looks like it's smoking :p Just had a quick lookaround, couple of bugs below and as you can see my fps was around 30, normaly I get around 40 on dustbowl so for me it's playable but as I said, I get 40 on Db, others get around 10...

Something's clipping in the vent
    [​IMG]

Me being picky but these clip through the floor outside BLU spawn
    [​IMG]

The transition could be made better here by using some beams maybe, or just allign the textures. I did like the 'dumped' blue computers outside :p
    [​IMG]