Monopod

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Deloras, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Deloras

Deloras L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi folks! Here is some new stuff!

I made a 3cp A/D like the artpass contest map. Blus are attacking a Red monopod oil rig in the middle of an Alaska inlet. The big orange things you see will become a flare and a derrick once the one who's modeling it is done.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    You could make the water still in the playable area and have the sea be in a 3d skybox, like I did in capricorn. Also: buildcubemaps before release.

3. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    layout looks great. points are arranged in a triangle methinks? get this on gameday/impromptu (and yeah build cubemaps first).

4. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Spoiler: BLU fails to 'cap' the well

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL but really, good start

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. ANova

ANova L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks weird but fun also

6. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    Hrm watch the open areas because pyros will definitely abuse them for kills. I like the theme, too, but some parts (namely the last screenshot) look like they could be a bit overscaled.

7. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    hmmmm, what's this sudden fascination with oil rigs out in the middle of a sea trying to be destroyed??? Me thinks BP isn't giving us the full picture here.

8. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You worked really fast since you announced your work on this one. I'm looking forward for (hopefully) tonight's testing.

9. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

Allright for the cubemap, I will come back with them.

@seba 079: That's what I wanted to do at first, I thought it was going to do a weird junction line between the real and the 3d skybox water, but will try.

@ absurdistof: Don't worry, I calculated:67.2% of the edge of the map is pyroproof. Some part of the 32.8% left do have rails that can prevent horizontal pschit. They will have opportunity to use their deflect, but it will not be their first way to kill people. The last screenshot dont look so overscaled in game. It's also the exit of blue spawn, it had to be consequently big.

@Mangycarface: I lold :D

10. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Done with the 3D skybox, finally it looks great with the fake water of the 3D skybox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Whoa. Brilliant looking, however I am a bit afraid that the water texture isn't TF2-y enough. Can't wait to see how this plays out though!

12. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    I know, I think this Hl² texture works really better on big surfaces than any tf2 texture. The render is large better.

13. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  14. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    It's 256*256, so no problem.

15. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Not the actual .vtf scale, the stretch of the texture. In the texture edit tool.

16. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Face edit tool*

17. Toast

Toast L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Make that water black.

Do it.

Now.

18. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    Allright, a maptest just ended.

It seems to be impossible for blu to attack, mostly beacause of red height advantage and a lack of cover for attackers. Respawn time is also problematic, beacause too long for atackers.

First round: Because of en admin joke (every one teleported upon the water trigger_hurt) Blus caped A point easily. Then quickly a few of them get to the B point and caped it. Then, Red team drove Blu team back to the bottom of A point. And the same again for the rest of the round. When blu recovered B point, they were pulled back by Red offensives.

Second round... Blu never caped A point. For the first time, we can see how the A zone is working with a full setup and it plays bad for blue team. Again, height advantage prevent blue for constructing offensive and red always recover its position in front of blue spawn exits.

What I'm going to do: First of all, reduce blue respawn time. I will also compense Red height advantage (that I will also decrease) by creating one-way doors in favor of blue team, and her own height advantage. I will also make safer places for blue team to construct bases and prepare attacks.

19. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD :O

That is the best thumbnail I have ever seen :O
    Great work on the displacements far out, but personally replacing them with clouds would be more fitting imo.

20. Deloras

Positive Ratings:
    I made an A2 version, and the maptest just ended.

Here is some screenshots of the changes of the A2 version (it's in french, because I am):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Despite A2 changes in favor of blue team, it's still very hard to cap A (both teams caped it, but it took several minutes), and none of the two teams caped B point.

For the next version, I envisage to give big height advantages to Attackers and fragilize Red positions again.

I also just changed the link to the map and replace it by the A2 one.