[Model] Bio-Boat

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by Lord Ned, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    If anyone out there can skin, Please dear god save this project from my horrible skinning techniques. (See barrels)

Still need to UVmap the boat, and add ducttape straps to hold the barrels down, and add exhaust pipes to leak the waste. (Gotta have some way to propel it)

2. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hly shit, seems nice!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    It looks great, but I'd say remove those small barrels. They look out of place.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, remove the tiny barrels.

It looks nice, I love the idea. I hope you finish it, a water-based pl map would be so great!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Axii

Axii L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Example story to go with that "BLU Team must Push The Toxic Waste Deep Into RED Territory, And Pour it into the REDS Water Supply."

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the idea! But your dispense uvw's are not on the right place since I see dark edges, and I think the boat is quite highpoly.
    And for skinning, do it yourself, if its not got, we'll tell you and start over when we give you tips. That's how everybody has to learn it :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks all.
    My orginal idea was to make one lage barrel, and then smaller ones tossed on randomly, like they were just shoving as much as they could on.

I've also got an idea to decompile Blue Stickies and put them on and wire them up to the dispenser, like they used them for a ignition. But that may lead to confusion that blue somehow managed to put stickies on.

The boat is only 1400 triangles, compared to the orginal cart which is 3800.

As of right now, I'm riding at 13800 triangles for the boat +barrels + dispenser. Also the Dispenser's UV's are off from the decompiling process. It will look fine in game.

Also the boat kinda looks like a fatass, that's too wide. It's from making it based off of a photo at a 45 degree perspective. (Remind me to never do that again)

Should I make it thinner, or is it okay like this? It is after all carrying 150is gallons of toxic on there. :)

And Sniper about the textures, see my shitty job at barrels? yeah. :( (May look better in game though)

8. Ace

Ace L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    about the 'fatness', I think if you put a nice point on the front of the boat and it will look fine.

I'd keep the 3 large barrels and the small ones under the seat, but get rid of the other small ones (they would roll of the edge anyway :p ).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  9. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Meh I was gonna pull out the old roll of ducttape and ductape them on.

Also my reference picture has a flat front.

10. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    The boat looks awesome! Only the bow is out: It's ok if it's flat, but in this pic it actually looks concave, like it's bending in. Fix that and it'll look more boaty.

11. oxy

oxy L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Great concept. I am with the rest of the guys, get rid of the smaller side barrels. Also I am not sure about the texture on the barrels. The blue color looks ok but the text and logo are off. Try to only use colors from the original palette. Make sure you give the text a weathered / distressed look.

12. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Boat based off of: [​IMG]
    Also barrels removed. Playing/working on tf2 atm, putting off UVmapping.

13. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice model, I like your idea about using the stickies as an ignition theme. Maybe you could color them neutrally. Grey or something. Then they'll just look like part of the model.

I like the idea of this model. The sort of maps it could encourage. The path of the water can widen and narrow, deepen and shallow. Could make for some tight situations where Blu has to swim for a bit. Maybe some automated movement in areas with a strong current. Change route access with waterlevel changes or damming/channel mechanisms. Has anyone come up with specific map ideas based on this model? Anyone plan to use it yet?

14. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I'd definately do a bottom-of-the-Grand-Canyon type map with this, for sure. I would.

15. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Up at a cabin with a real aluminum boat. Will model that to day or tommrow and switch over from my crappy version here.

Also Nine, I'll take you up on that. You do the map (I can help) and I'll finish the model.

:)

16. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    wow :) nice stuff you got there! let us know when you're done so we can start making wet payload maps :D little rivers, sewers, aquaducts, this is gonna be cool :D

17. Lord Ned

Positive Ratings:
    Baugh Never got around to modeling that boat. :<