Map that combines all themes in one?

Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2016
I'm making my very first proper map atm. It's construction-based, but don't you dare tempt me...

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Would be interesting to see a map that manages to cram in as many themes as possible while still maintaining a consistent look (and decent filesize)
I think your best bet would be to reserve some themes for skybox usage.

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
I have an idea. What about taking images / renders of distant props, and then using those instead of the actual props as skycards to simulate background imagery.

And while we're at it, we can make parts of the map turn into a 2d picture when far away. Actually, we could just make the players 2d sprites and make the game 8 bit if we're running low on memory. Actually, why not make the game run on punch cards instead?

Zooule

L1: Registered
Sep 18, 2016
what about if it was a 3 or 5 stage Payload map, each stage taking on each theme?

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
I have an idea. What about taking images / renders of distant props, and then using those instead of the actual props as skycards to simulate background imagery.

And while we're at it, we can make parts of the map turn into a 2d picture when far away. Actually, we could just make the players 2d sprites and make the game 8 bit if we're running low on memory. Actually, why not make the game run on punch cards instead?
We could play the game on Babbage's analytical engine. Who needs electronics when you can use gears.

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
We could play the game on Babbage's analytical engine. Who needs electronics when you can use gears.

Fuck that, let's just make it a book instead.

And let's write it in Chinese or Arabic or some shit

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
what about if it was a 3 or 5 stage Payload map, each stage taking on each theme?
I think a good idea would be to have the spawnrooms be linked as if they were plane carriages, so BLU's spawnroom for stage 1 would be a ship, and then RED's spawnroom at the end of the stage would be a plane or a cargo carrier.

Zooule

L1: Registered
Sep 18, 2016
I think a good idea would be to have the spawnrooms be linked as if they were plane carriages, so BLU's spawnroom for stage 1 would be a ship, and then RED's spawnroom at the end of the stage would be a plane or a cargo carrier.
seems legit.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

And while we're at it, we can make parts of the map turn into a 2d picture when far away. Actually, we could just make the players 2d sprites and make the game 8 bit if we're running low on memory.
If you were making your own game and had free reign over how to do optimization, you could totally do stuff like this. RollerCoaster Tycoon Worlds, which came out this very year, actually turns guests into crudely-animated sprites at extreme distances.

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
If you were making your own game and had free reign over how to do optimization, you could totally do stuff like this. RollerCoaster Tycoon Worlds, which came out this very year, actually turns guests into crudely-animated sprites at extreme distances.
I dunno if this is possible, but could it be that it renders the models in 2d?

Also, yes the gimmick where a part of the level fades to 2d from a distance is used in tf2, in mvm_warehouse specifically. It uses areaportals to do this though.

Jul 26, 2015

It also turns into a crudely developed game at extreme loading times.

Tuaam

Jun 26, 2015
FuCaWA6.jpg
godammit the problem is solved so now I can't generate sweet replies from this thread