making maps without hammer

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by martijntje, Jan 11, 2010.

1. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    browsing through the archive to find what the last contests theme's have been I stumbled upon the notepad contest. I found it to be quite interesting.

Has anybody ever tried to write a program the lets you easily edit maps or generates maps.

I'm asking because I am seriously thinking of writing one.

EDIT:
    hold on everyone, I do not want to replace hammer, I am not that nuts. I was more thinking of generating small and simple pieces of map.

for example, a program that takes a picture as an imput then outputs a vmf with a displacement in it where the brightness of each pixel is translated in the height of the displacement. aka you can now create displacements in photoshop.

things like that

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Never heard of it. Here is the thread if anyone likes to read more. But i should try it. :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I highly doubt you will be able to do anything that even gets you close to what hammer can, no chance making it better.

But there are actually some custom editors, i think one was posted at interlopers which could only edit brushes, but still.

4. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    oh please god make it crash-free. please!

5. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd rather have full hammer control over something that doesn't crash. Saving often is your friend.

6. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    hold on everyone, I do not want to replace hammer, I am not that nuts. I was more thinking of generating small and simple pieces of map.

for example, a program that takes a picture as an imput then outputs a vmf with a displacement in it where the brightness of each pixel is translated in the height of the displacement. aka you can now create displacements in photoshop.

things like that

7. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    I'm 90% sure that tool already exists.

8. Nutomic

Positive Ratings:
    It exists, i think it was called twister.

Google is your friend ;)

9. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    it does indeed
    but that was just meant as an example, I probably can think up other useful (or fun) stuff

10. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Twister can only make displacements though? It would be cool to have a 'portable' version of hammer where you wouldn't need to be connected to the internet to run it.

11. Nutomic

Positive Ratings:
    Totally for it.

But this would still require a shitload of work, and you would need all textures, models and so on.

12. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    maybe, if I make use of crafty and only limit myself to rectangular world brushes it might not even be that hard.

so I have been playing around and I made a program that made a map with a sphere made of a thousand enities. (entities are easier than brushes)
    [​IMG]
    that is a screenshot of hammers 3d view

13. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    Real men map with Notepad.

14. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    If you just want Hammer-but-better, running Steam in offline mode and using VBCT for compiles gets you a long way.

The VMF format is pretty easy to get a handle on, because you can more-or-less just look at it to figure out how it works. Actually building something to handle it... you need to decide if you want to write your own parser or some some of Valve's code available in the SDK.

15. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    and now I can generate brushes
    [​IMG]
    only needed 2048 brushes to create this beaty

16. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  17. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    If we hound Valve enough to make a portable version of hammer, where you don't need to be signed in to steam even (ie, you point it in the way of the gcfs, and such for the game you want to map for) Would be win. Yeknow? for those long journeys with a laptop >.>

18. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Precisly what I said :D Though an actual portable version, ie. for a DS, would be very epic though I doubt that would be very possible.

19. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer.

/thread.

I used to do notepad editing of JKA maps... It was several different kinds of headaches, but the only reliable option due to the limitations we had to work with. Not worth it.