1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Making ice

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by matou, Sep 28, 2010.

1. matou

matou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm wanting to toss some ice in my map but i can't think of how.

i could use a trigger_push but that is a specific direction unless up or down will do that i'm not sure?

Anyways if someone knows a way :D im more then wanting to know

2. megawac

megawac L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd start with playing with the vmt properties of your ice's material. I remember hearing that you could change the effect on players walking on it with some of the settings. I assume you will need to play with the $surfaceprop or if your unlucky you can always code something.

Edit* You'll be happy to note you can apparently change the friction $surfaceprop according to: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Material_surface_properties

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    an easier way, if it is a single direction, is func_conveyor (spelling?)... that pushes the player forward at a certain speed.

4. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    the way you would do it is as stated. to change the surface properties on the .vmt of the texture to "ice"... however, it is much to slippery for tf2 style and will anger people.

5. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Unless its used in small amounts to add to the immersion and what not.

6. matou

matou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    IT is a very small amount, only gonna be in 2 spots (mirrored map essentially) i'll have to find a nice ice texture now or make one.

7. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    there's some dev ice texture in tools and it actually did the trick physically.
    how it's supposed to be used I have no idea since it displays as "measurement" texture type.
    Anyway, it exists henceforth should have some usable function