light_env - Props change brightness?!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fyfey, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Fyfey

Fyfey L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I compiled my map with an light_environment to see what it'd look like with some nice shadows etc... I was running about and whenever I went into shade, a lot of the buildings and props went shadowed as well, even though they are in direct sun-light. Stepped into the sun again and they lit up.

Could the sunSpreadAngle in the light_environment be doing this? I had it set to 0 I just noticed.

2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not familiar with the SunSpreadAngle variable. What are your angle and pitch set at?

3. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Bad model choice and texture, make sure that the texture that acts weird does not have the path /models, because they have diffrent light parameters. So for your bad texture there is a good texture in the list too.

4. Fyfey

Fyfey L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes Snipergen you beast!!! That's exactly what was wrong! Had used loads of prop textures! And I finally had a good reason to use the texture replace function in hammer. Compiled it just now and it looks amazing.

About the sunSpreadAngle, I think it's the diffusion of the shadows, I had it set to 0 and it was really dark, sharp shadows. Now it's set to 5 and the shadows are alot lighter and smooter (more realistic).

Cheers for that!!

Fyfey