Laggy's help request thread

Laggy

L2: Junior Member
May 28, 2009
God you're awesome Artesia, thanks a million! I'll keep posting questions as they come

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
trees are usually model props, look at Boojum's Prop Library

now I haven't tried this but I've thought about it... and that is if you want to actually make it look like the player is in a large forest (as too many props will make things run slow) you could make a texture that looks like leaves and branches (multiple if you want more variety), then make displacements that are roughly umbrella shaped, and apply that texture to it (it should be transparent around the edges and between leaves and branches). You can then make rough trunks with func_detail cylindars or possibly displacements, and dot the canopy displacements around to make the forest canopy appear full.

once again I haven't tried this, but it should be able to create more of a forest without the cost of tons and tons of models, which would also increase file size significantly.

Laggy

May 28, 2009
K i will look into it, I kind of want to make the red base foresty and point D saw millish with trees chopped down and things like lumbermill

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
tools > options

should have 2 sliders one should be for how far the camera moves away from a model before just displaying its bounding box, turn this up.

Laggy

May 28, 2009
Sorry I halted the map making, IRL things. getting back on that now. Gunna see if I can find a good "how to make an elevator" thread.

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
1. make sure you're reloading the map with map <mapname> it won't do it on the fly.
2. check your compile log for errors
3. try compiling without tf2 open (I always do, but who knows)

thats all I can think of :S

Laggy

May 28, 2009
1. I will try
2. checked no errors came back
3. I don't run tf2 while mapping usually (just a habit of keeping my task bar to the least possible things[sorry I'm a weirdo])

I'll check the map name thing though I don't understand 100% I opened the one I used latest.

Thanks again!

alright it works thanks!

Last edited:

Laggy

May 28, 2009
UPDATE:

here are screen shots!

I have to change the texture shift add a few walls I forgot and add more things in the middle ubut enjoy

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
1 more please help thanks!

? You should say what questions you added.

IE # 20, 21, 22. ETC.

I can't find what you need help with.

Laggy

May 28, 2009
Alright will do the answered ones have [solved] by them so the ones without will be the ones, but that is a good Idea thanks DJive I'll start doin that!

Artesia

Nov 11, 2008
use func_detail more, optimize better... :p