L4D2 Finally looking good.

Feb 14, 2008
Err... I don't think a grenade launcher qualifies as a rocket launcher.

(And to all those in the "community mod" train of thought, nearly every sequel nowadays is the same game with new content, this is the same)

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Am I seriously the only one who has liked this game from the start?! Jeez, guys, since when has Valve made a bad game? You think they're going to start with this one?

You know, they did make that game called Left 4 Dead which had far to little content, but that everyone bought anyway because they said they would support it with lots of new content for years to come, but after a year they gave us the finger and made a sequel which does look good, but they still haven't given all the content they promised for the first.

Last edited:

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
You know, they did make that game called Left 4 Dead which had far to little content, but that everyone bought anyway because they said they would support it with lots of new content for years to come, but after a year they gave us the finger and made a sequel which does look good, but they still haven't given all the content they promised for the first.

A little less of the sarcasm, mister.

Valve have SAID that they aren't dropping support for L4D! They're still working on L4D 1 DLC now! Just because they're working on L4D2, doesn't mean they've forgotten about L4D 1.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
They've continually stated that L4D1 will continue to get support (some new DLC is supposed to be released soon) and that L4D2 is too big to be DLC for L4D1. You surely can't expect them to throw the new special infected into L4D1 and have them work, the maps were designed without them in mind.

I agree the characters seem lacking, I'd be much more happy about L4D2 if I could still play as Bill.

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
A little less of the sarcasm, mister.

Valve have SAID that they aren't dropping support for L4D! They're still working on L4D 1 DLC now! Just because they're working on L4D2, doesn't mean they've forgotten about L4D 1.

Except 2 is basically an expansion pack for 1... Most of it the kind of stuff they mentioned they'd bring out for 1... New special infected, new weapons, advancements to the AI director, new campaigns... So... Yeah...

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Except 2 is basically an expansion pack for 1... Most of it the kind of stuff they mentioned they'd bring out for 1... New special infected, new weapons, advancements to the AI director, new campaigns... So... Yeah...

I don't remember them ever mentioning new special infected for L4D1. :thumbdown:

And they're probably going to update the AI director and they are releasing new campaigns for L4D1.

L4D2 is a new game, much later in the infection, with new gameplay, a new AI director, a ton of new weapons, a new setting... it's not an expansion pack, and I'm 90% sure that if they had waited a year before announcing it, most of the naysayers would disappear. You guys are looking at how soon it was announced and that it involves 4-player zombie killing and saying it's the same game, when it's not. It's different.

Caliostro

Jul 6, 2009
I don't remember them ever mentioning new special infected for L4D1. :thumbdown:

And they're probably going to update the AI director and they are releasing new campaigns for L4D1.

L4D2 is a new game, much later in the infection, with new gameplay, a new AI director, a ton of new weapons, a new setting... it's not an expansion pack, and I'm 90% sure that if they had waited a year before announcing it, most of the naysayers would disappear. You guys are looking at how soon it was announced and that it involves 4-player zombie killing and saying it's the same game, when it's not. It's different.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWylFmqnwM"]YouTube - Lies 4 $$$[/ame].

And yeah, the classic: Just like TF2...

There was a particularly good interview where they also mentioned new infected, but I can't find it...

L4D2 is not a new game, it's the expansion for L4D1 they promised us, with different characters and at full price.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
I only watched that vid because I saw he words rocket launcher in the title.

But yeah, its starting to look more like a sequal now, not enough for me to spend 50 bucks on though.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
That video is bull. L4D1 is getting new campaigns. L4D1 is getting continued support. And the L4D1 SDK came out, albeit late. I don't see what the issue is. L4D1 is getting continued support, like they said, they are releasing new campaigns for L4D1, like they said.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
...the worst thing is that even though there are some new things, they just don't seem all that great. A grenade launcher, well okay, why not, doesn't change much. A Charger... seems like a reverse Smoker to me, right? Incendiary Ammo is wasted on normal infected (they die in one hit anyway). That other new Special Infected, Spitter or something? Isn't that just a variation of the Boomer?

New campaigns don't cut it, either. If all Valve had done so far is add new maps, we would not even have seen Payload - it's a new gametype.

I'm simply not convinced and am certainly going to wait at least half a year until I'll consider buying L4D2.
Buying L4D early, believing Valve would update it as regularly as they update TF2, was a mistake I'm not inclined to repeat.

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
That video is bull. L4D1 is getting new campaigns. L4D1 is getting continued support. And the L4D1 SDK came out, albeit late. I don't see what the issue is. L4D1 is getting continued support, like they said, they are releasing new campaigns for L4D1, like they said.

I will believe it when I see it for the new campaigns. Yes they did add the original campaigns to VS, but to me that doesn't count. That is just fixing what they should have had in the original release!

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I will believe it when I see it for the new campaigns. Yes they did add the original campaigns to VS, but to me that doesn't count. That is just fixing what they should have had in the original release!
And, sorry, but how hard could that possibly have been? Placing some more player-clips and spawners?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
How many times does Valve need to say "We're going to continue support for L4D1" and "we're going to release new content for L4D1" for people to be happy? I don't think they'd plaster that everywhere and then some places if they weren't going to do it.

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nineaxis, see that is the point, it doesn't matter how many times they SAY it. What matters is how much they do it.

Yes they have been giving L4D1 some support, but not what they promised. Also what pisses me off is they still haven't added some of the basic stuff that should be there, like being able to mute individual players. (For context for people who think this shouldn't be there, me and my boyfriend play in the same room, and the echo effect when we hear each other IRL and then in game is just obnoxious.)

Also, they promised the new weapons, content and monsters and they haven't delivered. If they do something that delivers that around the same time they did L4D2, I would be happy. If they made L4D2 into a paid for expansion, I would be happy. But doing it as its own separate thing is what irks me about it.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Thing is, when has valve never created something worth the money?

I'm telling you, L4D had more playability in its original release than MOST $50 games out there!

From their track record, Valve also will release updates for it even if the sequel is out. They're not known for dropping their games for a good while.

Last edited:

Caliostro

Jul 6, 2009

Is it? Where are they?

SDK came out around 6 months after it was released... iirc... Ironic... Just about it's half-life...

How many times does Valve need to say "We're going to continue support for L4D1" and "we're going to release new content for L4D1" for people to be happy? I don't think they'd plaster that everywhere and then some places if they weren't going to do it.

They said, they say, they said, they say, they say they say, they say... They said.

Where are the new monsters, the new campaigns, the new maps, weapons, features... etc...? Besides L4D2 that is...

And you see, they can say it a billion times now, Doug Lombardi's word is currently worth less than the hungarian forint...

Trust is earned, not given. Robin Walker earned his trust. Doug Lombardi took advantage of the trust we deposit in Valve's name and blew it. Now he has to earn it again.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
L4D2 could have been an expansion pack. Absolutely 100% no doubt about it.

The worst thing is that Gabe Newell has said in interviews that "games should be a service, not a product." And L4D2 goes directly against that philosophy.

I still think L4D2 is going to be awesome, but it's still very disappointing. I'm not boycotting it or anything, and I'm totally going to buy it. But I'm not as happy about it as I could be.

Also don't start acting like it's all Doug Lombardi's fault. If his publisher, whether Valve or EA, says his team has to make a sequel, he doesn't have a say in it. I'm sure he's doing his best.