koth_voronka

KotH koth_voronka koth_voronka_b2

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Looks interesting!

I like how the player always gets a ledge to sneak around the side of each building with - it's not only great for spies, it's a good mechanic for KOTH since it encourages the point to change hands often by making it so that if the team who owns the point tries pushing forward, the team who doesn't own the point can sneak around behind them and backcap.

I particularly like the building right before the point - the glass walls seem perfectly placed to let the player choose whether they want to peek around the wall or use the cover of the wall to drop down or go to one of the ledges around the side of the building.

Something I think people will complain about in playtests is not being able to see where the glass walls begin and end - to solve this, you could turn them into metal grates, or put a metal pole at each end like so:
1696005690907.png

I also think that letting Soldiers stand on the roof of this building might not be very fun to fight.
At the very least, having two medium health packs up there is going to make it annoying - Valve's philosophy for soldier perches like this is that they're fine, as long as the Soldier eventually has to jump back down to refill his health.
They even wrote about it in the game's developer commentary:
[Jake Nicholson] For Soldiers, we design spaces with specific attention to height. Soldiers generally want to be shooting down at opponents to maximize the effect of their rockets' splash damage. The rooftop here gives them that advantage. It can also only be reached with the soldier's rocket jump, making it generally inaccessible to the other classes. Because of the splash damage from a rocket jump, soldiers have to trade health for the height advantage. This tradeoff, coupled with the lack of health on the roof, lets us make the rooftop a powerful advantage without unbalancing the map, since soldiers will need to rely on medics down below to keep them healthy.

Having all your roofs be accessible is also going to make it impossible for you to section off different areas of your map with skybox brushes, which will almost certainly lead to serious framerate concerns down the line.