Resource icon

KotH koth_rain 2016-07-22

The_0ccurrence

L1: Registered
May 30, 2016
koth_rain - a city based koth map

Hello!
I started this map months ago as my second ever map. Because of this I am not entering this for a spot in the the competition, but rather as my first submission on this site. The game-play of this map is not great but that's what i have been working on for months. So in the next 72hrs, all I will be doing is bug fixing and cosmetic work. My only goal is that by the end of this competition I will have a finished map (or something close to it) I hope to utilize some of the new Frontline props and textures.

Much more info on this map can be found on the workshop. I'd prefer if you went there for more frequent updates, because it'll be a assle to update both sites at once.

Good luck to everyone mapping for this event!

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
A few quick thoughts -
  • You need spawndoors - or else it's really really easy to spawncamp.
  • I suspect it's a bit big, but I can't say until i've played it with other people.
  • Putting health on the point is strange - usually players are forced to choose between leaving the point to heal or staying there to cap, and that kind of choice is fun!
  • It does feel a lot like a city, which is great. I love maps that have such a strong sense of place so early on!
  • I wouldn't use the payloads. Props like the payloads, capture points, and intelligence breifcases have specific meanings that players are taught - don't use them without those meanings!

The_0ccurrence

L1: Registered
May 30, 2016
thank you for your ideas! funnily enough I'm working on spawn doors and health packs right now. and the lower spawn is being reworked to be closer to the point.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
We playtested your map on our server recently. You can download the demo file here, and can see the feedback here. The best way to use this is to watch through the demo - look where people go and don't go, what classes they play and don't play, and where most people die. Make sure to pay attention to the ingame text and voice chat. On the feedback site, if you Claim your map, you can download the feedback as a vmf, which you can then copy into your map vmf to have all the feedback in the right place.