koth_Moncrief

KotH koth_Moncrief A2

Traveling Without Moving

L1: Registered
Mar 24, 2019
koth_Moncrief - King of the Hill Map

Moncrief is a Koth map set deep in the southwest desert on a (soon to be) water treatment facility. The map features plenty of open spaces as well as smaller flank routes to get to the other side. At the moment.

The map is dev texture hell at the moment with no displacements, which will be brushed up in the future, Right now, I'm just getting a basic layout down so that balancing can be done in the future which will then lead to detailing and displacements. As always, feedback is appreciated.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Had a solo run around on your map, and I really love the feel of it! Really well made, tons of unique and interesting areas - great work! Here's some of my feedback.
  • Firstly, the filename should have a version number at the end. Check this video for more info. Generally this version would have "_a1" at the end, then the next update would have "_a2" and so on until you reach the later stages. This is important for getting the map playtested, which you can do by joining the TF2Maps.net Discord (I would really love to play this map on a server!).

• Okay, the real feedback: I really like the feel of this spawnroom. :)
IzrrAlO.jpg

• ...Aaaand I think something went wrong. VVIS seems to be running, so I don't think it's a leak. You probably didn't pack your custom textures into your map file (which you need to do for other people to be able to see them), so it's not showing up.
MBqOXmH.jpg

• I think this health/ammo should be easier to reach. Maybe they could just be placed on the ground, and a small shed/prop pile could be placed in front of them so that combat around it is still affected? Another thing, if you keep the platform, it might be an idea to cover the holes with a blockbullets2 brush so that projectiles don't get eaten by it.
hlCYMhY.jpg

• Or perhaps they could be moved into this empty hallway to give it more purpose? That said, it would alter the areas players would go (compared to the middle path they're closer to right now) so it's your call.
aRO76i3.jpg

• I just really love the look and feel of this area. The highs and lows, the elevated plank and the shaded tunnel, the rocks lining the left path.
IMwGFhl.jpg

• Eeeeeevil. I love it. Might I suggest moving the death sign so that players can't be saved from falling by bumping into it? I think Cactus Canyon has rocks away from the playable area above the death pit with a sign on it, so maybe you could do that.
VRrreAT.jpg

• Another missing texture.
v8d2sWJ.jpg

• This water doesn't let you crouch in it, your view just bumps up irritatingly if you try to. It needs to be either lowered to knee height or raised up to allow burning players to crouch and extinguish themselves. Keep in mind that water of this height will allow Soldiers/Demos to perform those massive water jumps. On another note, the Health pack is really hard to see through the water until you're close, I would raise it up if you don't lower the water level.
XDkMejP.jpg

• I'd recommend removing the rock wall my crosshair is over here, as it would make the spawn area less mazelike and would eliminate the chance of a sneaky enemy player camping in that passage. You could replace it with a prop pile or smaller rock if you think it's too empty without it.
hH4CSjx.jpg

• Finally, those rocky ramps you can't go past unless you're a jumping class after the spawn areas feel weird to me, but see how the map plays out with them.
Overall, this is really solid map with a unique layout and I can't wait to see how it evolves! Keep it up :)

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Oh yeah, and another thing, what's the point of that walkway in the 7th preview image? It doesn't lead anywhere, and unless you're planning on doing something with it later I'd definitely remove it because it just makes it harder to jump around in that room and allows players to camp up there.

Traveling Without Moving

Mar 24, 2019
Hey, thanks for the great words. I think my skybox issue was definitely a custom skybox. Other than that, every other texture here is valve made. As for the walkway, I guess I was trying to make it some sort of little perch where an engie could hide a teie but I probably forgot about it. other than that, thanks for giving this map a shot, even though you were inside the void the whole time lol.

Traveling Without Moving

Mar 24, 2019
a2 changes:
-Updated skybox (Hopefully you should get a functioning one this time)
-Removed balcony from far right room
-Added doorway and health/ammo to the long hallway after the spawn area
-Reduced water level under the bridge
-Changed borders around the point (from circular to trapezoidal)

Read the rest of this update entry...