koth_mercenary_canyon

KotH koth_mercenary_canyon a2

TheFluffycart

L3: Member
Jul 6, 2019
Hey! I have a few comments just based on the screenshots themselves. For starters, it looks painfully bright (which is going to hurt to play on). I also notice it's really flat, with only 2 points of elevation. Final thing I'm going to add here is that it feels really short. It goes from spawn to tiny courtyard to point. I'd recommend looking at official KoTH maps, and see how they're designed (Like areas [Courtyard, building, flank, etc.] or the layout of those areas) None of this is meant as hate btw, trying to give feedback so sorry if it came across hostile ^^"

mr. piggy business

L2: Junior Member
Apr 5, 2020
thanks, i am not that good with lighting yet. this map was orginally going to be only the midpoint so i might make this the midpoint and make it bigger. i dont really know how to give brushes good curvetures and make them look real. when i first got feedback on my first really bad map i got a little bit angry but i dont really get angry anymore. it is hard to critizite your own map because you kind off treat like your child and if they say anything of it you will get angry.

but anyways can you give me a tip how to really make maps feel less like a box background or clipping brushes?

but thanks for the tips!

TheFluffycart

Jul 6, 2019
The main thing you want to do, is to try and avoid making it one straight box. What I do when trying a layout is place a few square brushes and try to think, "What does an attacker get of this route, what does a defender get, etc." After a very basic layout, I start to raise/lower the brushes, and fine tune a bit more what the layout is. Adding height is very important for a map, and without it the gameplay is stale. After height and layout are feeling okay, start adding displacements! Don't make my mistake of a flat room, with everything being smooth
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nre432l_OTc
This video covers the fundamentals of them. One tip is to try and never have only one way to an area. In this map for example, you can only walk forwards to get to the point, there's no other way (leading to bad gameplay). Viaduct is a great map to get an idea of basic KoTH gameplay, and I suggest using the Viaduct formula for your first maps. Once you have experience, then try to break that formula, and make new and exciting stuff. Finally, you want a good scale. Place down a prop_static, and change to a player model (Most people use player\heavy.mdl as that model) and use it to see just how big everything is. I'm not an expert on mapping, but hopefully this helps a tiny bit (Also watch UEAKCrash's mapping guide, 10/10 series)

mr. piggy business

L2: Junior Member
Apr 5, 2020
i watched a ueakcrash until chapter 2, i dont have to much experience with making maps, but thanks for showing me that video how to change height that really helped!

TheFluffycart

Jul 6, 2019
No problem! The best way to get better is to honestly, just go at it.

Skylark

Super Gay Developer
aa
Aug 9, 2018
If you're changing the theme of the map just make it a new release under the original maps rather than having 2 identical maps, anyway - focus on gameplay in the alpha stage, don't bother trying to add a theme when the gameplay is lacking