Koth_depot

KotH Koth_depot rc1

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
Think of your first map as a learning experience. No one expects your first map to be amazing and flawless--I knew this going in and used my first map to learn how hammer, feedback and the community works. Just take everything you learned from this and use it to make something better every time.

ArrowFlint22

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2015
why in the world is this map in release candidate if you're adding rooms in an attempt to change how the map works?
Its to late for the map to be in alpha or beta now... Look this was my first map and I kinda screwed up on it. I just wanna get it done so I can make something better or make an event version of depot. Either way I just want it done.

ArrowFlint22

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2015
I still think you should just... Start all over.

You know,get fresh,start with something small,with dev textures,get it tested,keep getting better,yadiyada. Not just get directly from alpha to release candidate.

For example, KotH - Hangar is a really hyped-ish map. It has been tested,loved and the author has been working SO hard on it even other people are helping him with the models,for example.

THAT map is STILL in beta,and it has been around for 5 months. Your map has been here LESS than a month,with tons of errors,flat surfaces,empty/big ass rooms,and well... nothing interesting at all.

I think I might be the first to say it,I might not? But I feel bad to say it.

Long story short,you map SUCKS.

If nobody did,it had to be said. You have potential,seriously. But I think you're basically RUSHING to "finish" your map and get it played and all that stuff.

I've been working on a PL map (MY first map) for 2 months,and I STILL haven't finished the second cap point (AKA it's not even in ALPHA). I just want to make a decent map that has the least amount of bugs,game changes and such. And I'm just putting all my heart to it.

Like I said: you have potential. Just,start over,maybe another KotH since they're the easiest. Or a 3CP,or 5CP,or an Attack/Defend. Just use your imagination,take all the time in the world...

And put all your heart into it. If you decide to start all over again and make a new map,I'll be glad to test it,give some feedback and try to help you on anything.

Hopefully this "little" reply won't make you mad,or sad. I'm sorry if it actually did.

No hard feelings. Once this crappy thing gets done I will start a new map... I actually have a few ideas and I am still planning on paper.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
When a map is labeled "release candidate," that means it has gone through the entire development process and has reached a high quality, polished-looking stage that could be considered a candidate for final release. It's not meant to be used for maps you've given up on and stopped developing - in those cases the map should remain at the last version you worked on.

Also, don't feel obligated to finish any of your maps. If you're ready to abandon a map you can't fix and move on to something better, then by all means, move on.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
There are plenty of maps out there that were abandoned and their last version remained an alpha.