Just a question froma beginner

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Iccold, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Iccold

Iccold L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I want to make a map in tf2 but I have a question about Source SDK, Does it have to be on team fortress 2 to make a tf2 map? or can it be on half life 2: episode 2? Reason I ask is because I can't seem to change it to team fortress 2, it just stays on HL2:EP2 =/

2. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Im pretty sure it has to be on team fortress 2, reason being its what sets up the compile info, and sets the textures and whatnot available to use.

3. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, and welcome.

have you purchased TF2?
    You will need to purchase tf2 if you havent already.

4. Iccold

Positive Ratings:
    Yup, play tf2 nearly everyday, I tried to get an answer on Source SDK on the steam forums but none of the suggestions worked so I came here to try and get it to work =/

Link to the post I made

5. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Open the SDK and try 'refresh content'. Engine should be 'Orange Box' and game is 'Team Fortress 2'.

6. Iccold

Positive Ratings:
    Still can't change it to TF2, its the same when i change the engine to half life 2 Episode one, I can't get it off the first choice of half life 2 =/

7. medd

medd L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    When you load the source SDK, and select Orange Box as the engine, does TF2 not show up as an option to select, or is it the case that it is there, but you can't click it?

8. Iccold

Positive Ratings:
    I get the option to change it to Team Fortress 2, but it won't let me select it, when i do select team fortress 2, the drop down menu disappears but it stays on episode 2

9. medd

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, all is not in vain. I had this problem too, the problem is finding the fix again. What solved my problem was editing some file that literally reordered the list of game options in the drop down menu, so that TF2 was first.

I'll try to find it again and let you know. But maybe someone else here already knows how to do this...

10. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Try using the arrow keys. Open and close the dropdown menu (click twice on the little arrow) so that the field is highlighted, then hit downarrow once to move from Ep2 to TF2. It takes 5~10 seconds or so for it to swap game configs, so make sure you wait for that. No idea if this will work, but I've had issues with mouse-selecting things in the SDK yet arrows work. (namely Hammer's model browser)

11. medd

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't found the solution that I mentioned above, but I did find this. If you're running vista, maybe this work work:

darkang3l from the Steam forums:

Try this. If it doesn't work I can keep searching for that other thing.
    GL :D

12. Iccold

Positive Ratings:

Thank you, I checked it and although that wasn't the case with me, I checked "Run program as administrator" and it finally lets me choose TF2 :D I wouldn't have thought that would work, before its caused problems but I guess it works fine now.

One Final thing though, when I start up hammer and start a new file, I just get the camera view, yet every tutorial that shows pictures/video they have 4 different views. How do I get those extra 3 views to show up? (Edit: Never mind Found it on my own :p)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009