Jimmy is studying 5CP Maps!

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
Excellent to see this post has been brought to life! Good work Jimmy, but the question is... what map next? :O

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Excellent to see this post has been brought to life! Good work Jimmy, but the question is... what map next? :O

Yukon, then I think I'm finished for now, may move on to studying some other gamemodes.

thaCURSEDpie

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2010
I just wanted to add something that I think you overlooked (or maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there).

Anyway.

In the maps I really like (badlands, granary), you are able to 'change rooms' quickly and easily. Example: the blu/red houses at badlands mid. There are a lot of ways to get in and out. And if you get out, there's an entrance nearby to enter the room you just left, by a different route. I think this mainly plays a role at mids, because the fronline tends to diffuse a bit there.

I'll upload screenshots showing what I mean when I'm able to get to my gaming PC (probably tommorrow = friday).

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
This is of course interesting, but in my opinion not deep enough. You are going through the basic principles of each map, but not really pointing out what makes them EPIC HAX OMG LOLZ0R. Myself I have been contemplating Badlands, suddenly noticing new areas with tactical values I had never thought of. For example the area around spire with the Stone Bridge and the Trash behind it, which is perfectly designed for various reasons. Also the Badlands lobby is very interesting from a gameplay perspective: the dropdown with the healthkit forces the player to a tradeoff: if he needs the kit he will need to drop down and lose both height advantage and a strategic area: the top lobby.

I really like your articles, so keep them coming! Just wanted to point out that it's the small things that make difference.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
This is of course interesting, but in my opinion not deep enough. You are going through the basic principles of each map, but not really pointing out what makes them EPIC HAX OMG LOLZ0R. Myself I have been contemplating Badlands, suddenly noticing new areas with tactical values I had never thought of. For example the area around spire with the Stone Bridge and the Trash behind it, which is perfectly designed for various reasons. Also the Badlands lobby is very interesting from a gameplay perspective: the dropdown with the healthkit forces the player to a tradeoff: if he needs the kit he will need to drop down and lose both height advantage and a strategic area: the top lobby.

I really like your articles, so keep them coming! Just wanted to point out that it's the small things that make difference.

It also gives attackers that boost to make it up to the higher level survivng spam from above, or the health needed to make a push on last from the tunnel leading directly in. I contemplate this stuff, and was doing so until 2 AM this morning (I couldn't sleep) But I don't have the time to write it all down. :(

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Also, thought I might as well leave this here. Eyce gave me the Idea:
IWINEYCEHAHAHA.jpg

a 5cp mid situated ontop of a peacock licking a giraffe at sunrise. Yet to add the skybox.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
You make a better peacock then midget :p

thaCURSEDpie

Mar 8, 2010
To make my very vague post (from late last night) a bit more clear, this is what I meant:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9652939/cp_badlands_commented.jpg
(sorry for the crap quality, currently not on my main rig. The lines are dotted when it's in a building)

In red I've drawn some 'loops' you can use to quickly flank an enemy / gain a height-advantage. I'd think having stuff like this really improves gameplay (at least, I tend to use these routes a lot when I'm playing)

Think of this what you want, it might just be nonsense :blush:

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
You bring up an interesting point, mainly showing how the 2.5 rule works. (2.5 routes into every main area) Here you have 2.5 routes into Mid (Through house, Under route, beside traintracks) and 2.5 routes into the house (1 from the back, main entrance to mid, side entrance to 2nd)

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Perfect, now add the Giraffe and the cap point and I will love you.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Keep it on tpoic, I really like this thread and I don't want it shut because of Midget's spam.

Cake, thanks for that picture, I use those loops all the time to flank my enemies as scout / spy, but I never really thought of how it could be useful when i'm making a map. Now I can actually consciously add those loops in

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Ive Been contemplating some 5cp Ideas of my own, will post here when I have content...

thaCURSEDpie

Mar 8, 2010
You're welcome, stick ;)

I think these routes obviously 'help' all classes, but the fast classes in general would benefit most from these routes (since they'd be able to flank the enemy quickly). Mainly handy for scouts, spies and pyros, I guess.

Now let's see where this thread is going.

(small request: what are some non-obstructive way to remove sightlines from your map? I have the urge to just stick a wall somewhere in-between, but obviously that'd look ugly)

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
I think you just showed us some, pie. Stuff like that train carriage is good cover, but it can be easily jumped over. Ground variation and alternate paths can be handy. Cover should be dotted, however, not constant. Keeps the threat up for anyone trying to evade the sniper.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Well remember, you don't have to completely wall off an area to stop snipers; since it fits with the narrative of my map, i've got carefully placed pipes going from the ground to the ceiling. While it doesn't block off visibility completely, it obstructs the sniper enough that he'll have to either be really good to snipe through it (which is perfectly fine imo) or move to another position that you've created for them to be able to snipe from.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Rocks. If you look at badlands, the mid bottom route would be very open, if it wasn't for the displacement rocks there, which also provide another higher route for scouts. Its this kind of Synergy between cover and an extra route, and providing a good balance of cover and open space to make combat interesting that makes maps like this play so well. But nowadays most maps balance is fubard by the wrangler, I like how badlands is hardly affected by this though, due to the many routes.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
But nowadays most maps balance is fubard by the wrangler, I like how badlands is hardly affected by this though, due to the many routes.

One wrangled sentry on the train of badlands can cover all entrances to mid easily and two can shut down a team, even with ubers