Jimmy is studying 5CP Maps!

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
One wrangled sentry on the train of badlands can cover all entrances to mid easily and two can shut down a team, even with ubers

Never thought of that :O Well, shows why the wrangler is banned in CEVO. I hope etf2l follow this or the Highlander tournament will be well on earth.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
Yukon

Yukon is a good 5cp map, which works well with both large and small amounts of players. It has an interesting theme though it doesn't bring anything new into the mix layout wise (Happy nine?).

Yukon's mid is different from most mids, but accomplishes the goal of leading people into the point just the same.

yukonmid.jpg

Yukon's cap is under the Bridge, which means that Spam just rolls down, and has to be the worst part of the cap. The fact that the land slowly slopes down to the cap leads players towards it though, and the small cover is welcomed, as the slopes down are relatively open.
The bridge allows people to attack the other teams slope and flank with relative ease, with the health situated away in a corner to make it more useful for flanking than in heated mid fights, where the small health behind the only cover on the slope comes into play. Overall the cap works, though without the layout of 2nd, a team winning mid would pretty easily roll the emey team from there.

Yukon - Mid CP

* Downwards sloping land leads to point
* Bridge allows flanking and high ground
* Cover and general open area around cap encourages fighting around it

2nd Is a great cap, it puts a great spin on the rest of the map, and if It was any different, the whole map would be thrown out of whack.

yukon2nd.jpg

You have the 2.5 rule coming into play here, with the main route being relatively open for attacking, with a slightly longer route around with small health, useful for defense to go and backcap. Now the great route is the one leading straight from the bridge to the area below 2nd. This only works because it leaves the attackers in the low ground, and open for attack. The area around the cap is open and good for large fights, whilst the cap is quite closed, but gives a good vantage point to incoming attacks from either side of the arena.

Yukon - 2nd CP

* Good Balance of attacking routes and health
* Open area around cap, good for firefights
* Closed cap provides cover and good vantage point

Yukon's last point is different from most last points, but still holds all the main principals, whilst having a random satellite dish in it, and for that it gains +5 win points.

yukonlast.jpg

Yukons last point it much like granaries, with a precarious, open route directly to the point, and 2 other roues which are londer and less direct, but with health and cover. The similarities stop there, as the height of the point means it is harder to push, and if spam causes you to fall into the lower area you are dead. The direct nature of the main path is overcome by this height advantage and the lack of health, whilst the side route is on less of a slope with cover from below and medium health, but opens up to the large area around he point and you are highly visible and open from attack there.

Yukon - Last CP

* Open, direct main routes, more enclosed safer flanking route
* Quick cap time encourages pushes
* Uphill nature means pushes must be co-ordinated
*Sattelite Dish :D

Thanks for reading, will do Well and Freight next I think!

Also, for people who didn't notice:

penisrock.jpg

Penisrock made its way from other maps into Yukon. and its out of colour with the cliff, so far too obvious. Well done Mangy, you have a peniscliff.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
i think yukon brings some new stuff to the table layout wise. its all really unique to play on and it doesn't feel like any other map.

transitions from 3-2

you got that quick route that puts you in an disadvantageous position on the lower ground (the short route with the hill) while the man path (one going by penis rock) gives the most direct route with little cover, and the long route which gives good cover, but takes some time. that short route is really what makes yukon. my favorite route.

i like the last point. gives defenders high ground with like no cover and a few ways the attackers can attack (leaves those heavies and soldiers just spamming on the point vulnerable). plus that sneaky route over the house.

Jimmy

Jul 6, 2009
i think yukon brings some new stuff to the table layout wise. its all really unique to play on and it doesn't feel like any other map.

transitions from 3-2

you got that quick route that puts you in an disadvantageous position on the lower ground (the short route with the hill) while the man path (one going by penis rock) gives the most direct route with little cover, and the long route which gives good cover, but takes some time. that short route is really what makes yukon. my favorite route.

i like the last point. gives defenders high ground with like no cover and a few ways the attackers can attack (leaves those heavies and soldiers just spamming on the point vulnerable). plus that sneaky route over the house.

thee only unique thing with the transitions is the short path, the main 2 routes still hold with most maps. Last is simply a more height varied version of granaries, and mid is pretty much a mix of well and badlands rotated 90*. I still like it though, and Midget is right, these maps need more peacock.

Ninjilla

Sep 13, 2008
Penis rock, it is just so incredibly phallic... I cant get over that.

I think Well would be a good addition to the article, you can tackle how it has a startup time and the advantages/disadvantages of crossing the mid fences before start up is over.