Is there a better way to make a prop gradually fade in/out (NOT Start/Stop fade dist)

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
In short, I want to have a prop_dynamic appear to fade into and out of existence, regardless of where players are stood. So they could be right next to it, and the prop would fade in or fade out without the player moving away from it.

To be clear, I am NOT talking about the fade distance settings that are used to optimize when a prop is rendered. For my prop I will be keeping them to the default for the time being.

Now I have achieved this to some degree, by setting the prop's render mode to 'Solid' and the 'FX Amount (0 - 255) set to "0", then sending 'Alpha' inputs to it every few seconds.

While it works, it feels a bit 'hacky'. What I'd like to know, is if there is a better way to achieve this, ideally so it's a smooth and gradual fade in/out. At the moment I am having the prop fade in over 5 seconds, with increments in the alpha value every second. (0, 51, 102, 153, 204, 255)

Short of adding more inputs, is there a way to make the prop fade smoothly?

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
I have already done a more advanced version of your setup for func_brush entities, but a prop_dynamic would work just as well.
Just download the VMF in the attachment and see for yourself.
To change the fading speed, change the refire intervall of the logic_timer and/or its output's parameter.

Attachments

• fading_brush.vmf
    20.8 KB · Views: 176

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
I have already done a more advanced version of your setup for func_brush entities, but a prop_dynamic would work just as well.
Just download the VMF in the attachment and see for yourself.
To change the fading speed, change the refire intervall of the logic_timer and/or its output's parameter.
Oh I had already set up a more advanced version, what I described above was my test version I did just to check if the system worked. In my advanced version, I have my prop fading both in and out over 17 seconds (to match a sound effect). It equates to a 3.75 point increase/decrease in the alpha value every 0.25 seconds, done over 69 inputs.

That said, I took a look at your setup and that's certainly a lot simpler! I might just swap my system out for your if I can get the timings right.