• No

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • No Preference

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Haven't Played

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I havent played viaduct yet (no rush into trying the new maps for me as i will see them sometime anyway). I have played sawmill and nucleus however. In sawmill i realy liked the first game where it took a massive 10 minutes before a team finaly took the point. And even after that the owner changed about 8 more times. That was the best game of koth i had and probably will never become beaten.
I also played that map at some other time and noticed that when teams arent balanced it comes down to a steamroll most of the time. The same was for nucleus, balanced teams give great games but a slight unbalance results in steamrolling most of the time (respawn times do help into preventing it but often its just not enough).

KOTH is great but balanced teams are a real must for it to be fun.

Yes! However, like all modes its not the mode that is fun but the map that play's to the modes strengths that makes the mode fun.
Thats why i find sawmill better than nucleus... I dont like sniperfests where teams barely take actions. Its ok that you can hurt them hard as a pyro but it comes down to steamrolling all the time. Sawmill doesnt support snipers that well which makes the battles more fun. The point should be hard to defend while easy to capture which is a chalenge to make no matter what type of map you are trying.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
While I think KoTH is a lot more fun than Arena, it's a mild distraction at best. I'll be back to CP and Payload maps pretty soon.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
I have yet to actually play a full round on Sawmill and I've yet to do Nucleus, but KotH is still a lot of fun. Having it official with a duel timer system just looks great, and I actually prefer Valve's setup that takes a bit longer to cap, though I'd agree it takes a bit too long to cap.

The biggest problem with it now is that, like when first pipeline came out, quite a few people don't know what to do and just sortof run around killing people and ignore the objective... and while on payload race that's not too much of a big deal since there's no round timer, you really need a good team to assault the cap on KotH instead of having random people run past it.

I always wondered why arena wasn't a accepted Comp mode, but with KotH now official I think we might start seeing new comp leagues that emphasize in it.

KarmaPolice

L3: Member
Jul 25, 2009
Nucleus seems like a poor KotH map to me, mainly because so much of the battle occurs so far away from the point, in the back corridors or lower levels. Which works fine in arena because the point isn't the main concern, but the design works against the gameplay here.

Viaduct and Sawmill work well, though.

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
i think koth_ is a decent game mode, alot more fun / better than arena, and a breath of fresh air compared to cp_ / pl_ maps. However, where they are fun, they do get a bit boring if the maptime is too long, so on my server i have custom configs limiting them to 20mins / or 3 rounds (whatever occurs first).

I was going to decompile cp_granary and try and convert that into a koth_ map (i know the extensive work that would be needed, but using arena_granary for it makes the map too small)

all in all i like koth_ and viaduct is a good map, but a tad small imo. Sawmill and Nucleus are great conversions, sawmill is about close combat on the point and using scouts to get around the back of the other team. Nucleus is a good sniping / pyro map, which is always good since its different.

Im impressed =]

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I think it is fun, but, only if it's a stalemating game, and not a steam roll

Jan 31, 2008
I find it pretty boring to be honest.
It seems to be a constant grindfest without any tactics at all. There's no real feeling of progression.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
I've only played a couple KotH games myself, but from what little I have played I don't really like it. It plays out as too much of a senseless melee for my liking. At least in other gamemodes there's some strategy involved in progressing towards the goal (i.e. when to advance to the next CP, which class should go for the intel, who pushes the cart, whether to try to kill the entire enemy team quickly or go for the point when it activates, etc). With KotH, the entire strategy is basically limited to firing your weapon into the mobs on the control point as fast as you can from what I've seen.

I'll have to play it a little more before I get a solid opinion, but so far it's not making a great first impression for me personally.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I can say I've pugged on Viaduct and I doubt I will ever want to again. Although I could see Sawmill work in that situation.

LordNor

L3: Member
Jun 24, 2009
Thats weird, alot of people seem to like koth_nucleus alot but from my perspective ts too much of a rocket/nade spam for the people sitting in the middle. Personally i think Koth_Viaduct = superior (especially the awesome snow theme) :D

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
KOTH is too overplayed right now, but once it settles in and becomes just another map I'll be fine with it.

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
I was able to whip up a quick koth map in about 1 and 1/2 hours, but I prefer the fun afforded by larger maps.