I'm not even sure what kind of error this is...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by S T A R S ☰ T, Sep 28, 2018.

1. S T A R S ☰ T

S T A R S ☰ T L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    While working on my map, I ran it to see how it was shaping up. Little did I know I was loading up Dance Dance Fortress with this massive disco floor. It's not even split into that many brushes. Alt P finds nothing, Interlopers shows nothing wrong on the console, and the game is running an old version of the map for some reason.

2. S T A R S ☰ T

Positive Ratings:
    The game console shows me the error "vis decompression overrun" a few times, but I have no displacements, no super-detailed brushwork (especially in the old version it keeps running) and no 3d skybox brushes.

3. Blade x64

aa Blade x64 Logical insanity

Positive Ratings:
    Compile logs help. Also check for leaks.

VBSP, which produces the BSP, is failing. The rest of the compile is using the old BSP.

I'm under the impression you already saw this page. Yes, you have too much vis data. I'm guessing the line in VVIS that looks like this has the number you want to make go down.
    Code:
    visdatasize:1365714  compressed from 1449472
    This was from a map where I hit that limit and had to trim visdata. Maybe you have too many visleaves, they're too complex, or there's something else that's undocumented. To see what visleaves VBSP is generating, in Hammer you can go to the toolbar and select Map > Load Portal File.

4. Narpas

aa Narpas Takes way to long to make and update maps

Positive Ratings:
    Can you share a picture of how it looks in editor?

5. S T A R S ☰ T

Positive Ratings:
    And just as quickly as it broke, I fixed it. I had to rename and resave the map because it was compiling but pulling an old .bsp, and had to delete a pesky door that was "out of bounds" or something.
    [​IMG]
    I got it fixed, but here's what I'm working on if you wanna know. I probably shouldn't texture while I'm still doing brushwork but w/e, bad habbit. I'm new at mapping. Sue me :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. FloofCollie

aa FloofCollie I really suck!

Positive Ratings:
  7. obodobear

obodobear L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah sometimes a file rename is all you need. I had this happen to me once before, glad you resolved the error.

• Agree Agree x 1