I wish this were real with all my engy heart.

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
As a medic I already think I get backstabbed too much...
Second, the head of an engi being on top of him, is not on the back... Basically people have 6 sides (like a dice). The top != the back.

Last, the flame sentry. I think pyro-medic-combo will take out any flame sentry with ease.
That doesn't mean I don't like the idea :) But it might make sentry-vulnerable classes like the scout even more vulnerable to sentries.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
As a medic I already think I get backstabbed too much...
Second, the head of an engi being on top of him, is not on the back... Basically people have 6 sides (like a dice). The top != the back.

yeah but medics are our best victims :tongue_smilie:

And a headstab is like a backstab, if you jump on a character and stab him, you will see the knife movement of a backstab, and the sound when hitting them too, but nothing happens.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Spike, as one who plays an engineer I can tell you that spies can get backstabs even when it looks like they are standing in FRONT of me. Perhaps backstabs are a bit buggy, but a good spy is the bane of my existence as an engineer. I've seen a single spy take out two engineers AND all their equipment without an issue. Chain sapping is an excellent technique as an engineer simply can't keep up with the repairs, especially if the spy is chain sapping both the dispenser AND the sentry. One of the worst situations for me as an engineer is a spy running amok by chain sapping all my stuff. I just can't repair it fast enough.

Again, perhaps backstabbing is a bit buggy currently, but that doesn't mean the engineer is overpowered against the spy. Mostly it comes down to skill level. Honestly, if the map is balanced well, any spy worth his salt can be a real headache for the opposing engineers.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
just want to say...its undeniable that the spies backstab is buggy, but as long as you don't have ping over 100 its buggy in favor of the spy
its quite funny to see all the frontal backstabs you can get

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, A good spy can take out an entrenched engineer and can be quite annoying. I have yet to really find a place on any map that it is impossible to remove an engineer and that includes custom maps. I have played on custom maps that are really easy for an engineer where I have been able to sit in one location for most of the game, but the thing is once the other team learns the map they start to coordinate themselves.

As for spy backstabs they are unbalanced right now and in my opinion buggy in the favor of spies. I have lost count of the number of times I have been "backstabbed" in the side, where they are not behind me but still get a backstab kill.

I am more worried about spys than ubers. The only real uber I am afraid of is an Uber Pyro. An uber heavy is a joke if I am hiding behind my sentry, I can repair it faster than you can kill it, uber demo man is only a danger if they use their stickies which 90% of them dont do, or dont do fast enough, uber soldiers tend to only get off a couple rounds that hit me so I do alright against them. But Uber Pyros are scary, they can run up and toast me + sentry gun at the same time and do it fast.

A spy + pyro is crazy scary, I will be running around repairing my sentry and wacking the spy with my wrench and then the pyro comes running in and toasts me.

Overall I see the engineer as a delaying tactic, because at this point after the release of TF2 most people have figured out how to get around sentry guns but it just takes them a little bit to accomplish that.

As for a lone pyro vs. Sentry gun that only works if the engineer is not really smart and places the turret to close to an entrance.

Overall I think the worst enemy of a sentry gun is its range. Most custom mappers think an easy way to put a check against a sentry gun is to make the strong points in their maps have entrances just out of reach of the ideal sentry placement. This is annoying because then the sentry guns are essentially useless there. Its not that hard for a simple combination of enemy forces to really crush an unsupported sentry gun as it is and to throw the range card at it is just not fair.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
just want to say...its undeniable that the spies backstab is buggy, but as long as you don't have ping over 100 its buggy in favor of the spy
its quite funny to see all the frontal backstabs you can get

Almost all frontal backstabs are "facestabs" or backstabs before you turn around.

Yeah, i know spys can pwn, I always pwn as spy on official maps because I know them all and i've made my own strategies, but there are things that makes me angry, like beeing behind 4 enemies , backstabing them all and not getting any kills because the lag or buggy backstabs. Take a look at this video and you will see what I'm talking about:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AdtsDgmWR8"]YouTube - warpback[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYFYO-1fow"]YouTube - TF2 Badlands Spy[/ame]

Narkissus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 22, 2008
That first video is just the spy being too far away, you can see that easily. And the second showed a guy that lagged when he went in to backstab people. I dont see it. But yeah, as a main spy i have many many backstab problems, but more noticably is that i can jump into a group of 6 people and just start swinging and get like 5 backstabs as they run around me because of facestabs randomly.

Thats how i got my high points on spy: 27 points :).

Last edited:

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
and in the second one he gets a side backstab when it did the normal stab animation. Also, in the 2nd one when he complains about the lack of a backstab after 3 tries he starts stabbing while he is to far away, then is stabbing him in the side, finally he gets behind the heavy and gets his backstab.

Oh, and he just stabbed a demo man on the side with a normal stab animation and got a backstab, pause it at 4:04, he is clearly not behind the demo man, and does not do the backstab animation, but gets a backstab. If anything, spies are balanced in their favor when it comes to getting backstabs.

Last edited: