I want to know how many people I can get on a server I made myself with a 3 meg download and 1 meg upload connection.

KiLLeR_WaNNABe

L1: Registered
Sep 17, 2022
Hi

I'm wondering how much a 3 meg download and 1 meg upload connection will support if I make my own server. And how to get a 32 person server going if that isn't enough. And if there is a formula to it.

KiLLeR_WaNNAbe

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
Take a look at this thread. Seems making a formula is not so straight forward https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=255315. I will always recommend renting a server in a datacenter so you have gigabit speeds but I understand some cannot afford it sometimes. I've seen some VPS servers for as cheap as $12/m.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
In my experience as a client, with an update rate of 20, my incoming data rate can be as high as 20 KB/s on average. For the server to be able to send that to 32 clients it needs an uprate of at least 640 KB/s. That's just over 5 Mb/s. You can use net_graph 1/2/3/4 to see connection data.

A connection with an uprate of 1 Mb/s will support five or six players, perhaps greater or fewer depending on the content. Note that this does not take the need to send custom files to clients into account (known as FastDL).

Contabo VPSs are around 5 Euro per month and their data rate is 200 Mb/s both ways. The problem with a VPS is that the processor is virtual, not physical, and the processing cycles are shared amongst multiple customers on the same machine. This is fine for stuff like web hosting where slight delays don't matter, but TF2 server is a demanding 'real-time' application where delays in processing game frames will result in lag. We were able to mitigate this by raising the server's minimum update rate to 66. I would not recommend it for serious long-term usage but for fun custom game modes it's not a problem. It's a cheap way to experiment, have some fun and to learn.