How would I make a lift like Doomsday?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ExtraCheesyPie, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I believe the Capture Area moves with the lift on doomsday. I want to make a semi-diagonal moving lift with the CP moving up. I already have the prefab for SD, but unfortunately the lift is not included.

Should I use a func_tracktrain brush on the lift? And how would I get the CP to move with ti?

2. Narpas

aa Narpas Failing at Scaling

Positive Ratings:
    I believe it uses func_tracktrain. To get the CP to move with it, you need to parent it to the func_tracktrain. Also, I would recommend, instead of making the func_tracktrain the platform, make it a small nodraw brush and parent a func_brush platform to it.

3. BenCo

BenCo L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also just check the decompiled version of doomsday and see how valve do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:
    It works now! Sorta. I can't believe how much of a clusterfuck the logic on SD is. Who the hell decided it was a good idea to mash up CTF and Payload with the whole stationary-point idea of koth

5. PossessedInkieShark

PossessedInkieShark L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, Special Delivery doesn't need to use the lift, I just used two painfully slow doors but it does the same thing: Forces the intel carrier to stay in one exposed spot for a long period of time

6. ExtraCheesyPie

Positive Ratings:
    yeah but it's for the layout I drew up. If you're going for the non-moving then that's cool, but I'm trying to do something already.

7. Powerlord

Powerlord L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't looked at it, but I also assume it has a func_flagdetectionzone above the platform with the OnStartTouchFlag/OnPickedUpFlag set to start forward movement and the OnEndTouchFlag/OnDroppedFlag set to start backward movement.

8. Joshenkstone

Joshenkstone L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tought there was a valve developer wiki page about lifts.