How can i extract Models from hammer and put them in a 3d program like blender?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dog.vtf, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Dog.vtf

Dog.vtf L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Does anyone know if and how I can extract models from hammer and import them into blender?

For example, Extracting two models (Specifically cart_base_seperate and barrel01.) and combining them in Blender like how I have it looking in hammer right now.
    [​IMG]

To create some kind of toxin-payload or something. for a cliche "Someones poisoned the water-hole" payload map

2. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer loads the models from the tf2 .vpk's, which can be opened and extracted with GCFScape.

The vpk's are located in the tf folder. tf_misc_dir.vpk holds models and materials while tf_textures_dir.vpk holds textures. Note that all models will have their materials and textures stored under \materials\models.

I believe there are tools for blender that can import the extracted .mdl files. I personally use 3ds max for the task; there is a plugin for 3ds called "wall worm" that can do exactly what you want to do quite easily. I used it myself when i made a custom mvm upgrade station
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  3. Dog.vtf

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, i don't think there is one. But there is crowbar. which I have used only 1 time and have no idea how to use it anymore

4. Columbidae

Columbidae L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    crowbar is really easy to use. It has simple compile/decompile functions. Decompiled models will output as .smd files. If you wanted to edit and re-export said meshes via blender, you will also need blender source tools. Just make sure to edit the qc file before compiling yourself a new model. This generally should involve just changing the modelname property

-edit: And renaming the exported mesh and combining material paths, etc.

5. Dog.vtf

Positive Ratings:
    What's a QC file?

+ When I try to decompile the model I get a fast thing in the prompt below then it "Finishes" and there's nothing in my output folder.

6. Columbidae

Columbidae L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    it's a text file that's very similar to vmt. You use them with studiomdl to compile models from mesh files

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    • Agree Agree x 1