Hotrod

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by DIODIO, Sep 29, 2009.

1. DIODIO

DIODIO L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It is an Attack and Defend map of three rounds of 2CP of the DUSTBOWL type.

It is the map which it held on the stage of to a factory from the mine.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Looks very dustbowlish. However, in the last 3 pictures the ground looks very out of place and just does not really fit the style of the map.

3. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    oh noes, non tf2 textures :O

4. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    there some very nice visuals. there are places that need work of course (like in the 5th picture where you have a face that has been no drawn that can be seen on the tower in teh background).
    i suggest you don't use the brick-wall texture on the ground (try the concrete floor textures instead, the ones used on the outside parts of cp_well).

i'm gonna probably play this tonight when i get home, but it also seems you have 2 extremes on the same map. the map seems to start off in a dustbowl-like environment (i.e. wooden buildings, and rocks+sandy/dirt ground) and ends up very high-end industrial for the final picture. will be interested to see how you transitioned between the two of them.

5. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks nice, would be nicer with some higher quality screenshots but that doesn't really matter. I agree, it does look Dustbowl styled but I don't agree with the concrete texture, I think it acts as a good contrast.

Keep working!

6. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    The HL2 textures break the feel of it. Remove them and you'll have a very pretty map ;)

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    In the third picture, the large tower on A collides with the grain chute; moving the chute a bit to the right will fix it. Other than that, it's a pretty map. I'm not too sure about the second A being in a concrete building, but it's your call.

8. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you for feedback.

When I made this map, I prepared "Laputa: The Flying Island" of the animated cartoon into the motif.

Because two rounds of BCP neighborhood imaged the town of the mine and made it, there was not a thing to match with the beefsteak charr of TF2.

Therefore I use a beefsteak charr of HL2. I look for an another beefsteak charr at the time of next update.

9. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    You really shouldn't use the night time silhouette models in the day time. :/

10. Cylence

Cylence L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I just ran through your map. The general layout is promising. There is decent room to maneuver. I like the mine shaft in the second stage. I think you could afford to have larger doorways for a lot of buildings. The second point of the last stage seems to have a lot of passage ways around it; perhaps too many.

You are going to want to stay away from the HL2 textures.

Aesthetically, your map is developing. I think your biggest problem with appearance is precision. You might want to run through and make a list of the little things you find. I'll create a list of things I can remember noticing:

Stage 1, Blu Spawn: Purple light on the floor
    Stage 1, Blu Spawn: Small slit you can see through between the left and center exits upstairs
    Stage 1, Point A: Boiler with the gold in it sticks through the roof
    Stage 1, Point A: Mine cart track on the right don't line up with the tunnel exit
    Stage 2, Point A: Light bulb prop sticking through the roof of the shack by the point
    Stage 2, Point A: Holes in the displacements underneath the point
    Stage 2, Point B: Those trails leading to the point aren't connected example
    Stage 3, Point A: The end of your conveyor belts (nice job making them, BTW) is going the wrong way

I remember there were some oddly lit props. You might want to use some info_lighting entities.

Also, building interiors could generally use a little bit of love; especially spawn rooms.

Your map has promise. Your layout is strong. I can't make much of a prediction to how it will play, but it seems to me that it will have a primarily Dustbowl feeling with a little Badwater mixed in. Good luck, the map is coming along nicely. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    I updated a map.
    I played the lot and coordinated game balance.

Cylence
    >Purple light on the floor Stage 1, Blu Spawn:

There are various secrets to my map.
    This purple color is a hint of the secret room.
    There is a wall to be able to break at the blue start spot.

>The end of your conveyor belts (nice job making them, BTW) is going the wrong way

It is very difficult for me to revise this.

Because I am a Japanese, I do not understand English.
    It takes time very much to understand it.
    So I do not understand whether I can revise all feedback.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  12. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    I updated a map.

I changed it for the whole stage 3.
    It is mapped the distinction with respect with the former map.

13. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    I updated a map.