1. On August 16th at 9pm CST, the site will be put in to read only mode for maintenance. Maintenance should not take longer than an hour.

Hotrod

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by DIODIO, Sep 29, 2009.

1. DIODIO

DIODIO L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It is an Attack and Defend map of three rounds of 2CP of the DUSTBOWL type.

It is the map which it held on the stage of to a factory from the mine.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Looks very dustbowlish. However, in the last 3 pictures the ground looks very out of place and just does not really fit the style of the map.

3. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    oh noes, non tf2 textures :O

4. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    there some very nice visuals. there are places that need work of course (like in the 5th picture where you have a face that has been no drawn that can be seen on the tower in teh background).
    i suggest you don't use the brick-wall texture on the ground (try the concrete floor textures instead, the ones used on the outside parts of cp_well).

i'm gonna probably play this tonight when i get home, but it also seems you have 2 extremes on the same map. the map seems to start off in a dustbowl-like environment (i.e. wooden buildings, and rocks+sandy/dirt ground) and ends up very high-end industrial for the final picture. will be interested to see how you transitioned between the two of them.

5. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks nice, would be nicer with some higher quality screenshots but that doesn't really matter. I agree, it does look Dustbowl styled but I don't agree with the concrete texture, I think it acts as a good contrast.

Keep working!

6. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    The HL2 textures break the feel of it. Remove them and you'll have a very pretty map ;)

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    In the third picture, the large tower on A collides with the grain chute; moving the chute a bit to the right will fix it. Other than that, it's a pretty map. I'm not too sure about the second A being in a concrete building, but it's your call.

8. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you for feedback.

When I made this map, I prepared "Laputa: The Flying Island" of the animated cartoon into the motif.

Because two rounds of BCP neighborhood imaged the town of the mine and made it, there was not a thing to match with the beefsteak charr of TF2.

Therefore I use a beefsteak charr of HL2. I look for an another beefsteak charr at the time of next update.

9. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    You really shouldn't use the night time silhouette models in the day time. :/

10. Cylence

Cylence L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I just ran through your map. The general layout is promising. There is decent room to maneuver. I like the mine shaft in the second stage. I think you could afford to have larger doorways for a lot of buildings. The second point of the last stage seems to have a lot of passage ways around it; perhaps too many.

You are going to want to stay away from the HL2 textures.

Aesthetically, your map is developing. I think your biggest problem with appearance is precision. You might want to run through and make a list of the little things you find. I'll create a list of things I can remember noticing:

Stage 1, Blu Spawn: Purple light on the floor
    Stage 1, Blu Spawn: Small slit you can see through between the left and center exits upstairs
    Stage 1, Point A: Boiler with the gold in it sticks through the roof
    Stage 1, Point A: Mine cart track on the right don't line up with the tunnel exit
    Stage 2, Point A: Light bulb prop sticking through the roof of the shack by the point
    Stage 2, Point A: Holes in the displacements underneath the point
    Stage 2, Point B: Those trails leading to the point aren't connected example
    Stage 3, Point A: The end of your conveyor belts (nice job making them, BTW) is going the wrong way

I remember there were some oddly lit props. You might want to use some info_lighting entities.

Also, building interiors could generally use a little bit of love; especially spawn rooms.

Your map has promise. Your layout is strong. I can't make much of a prediction to how it will play, but it seems to me that it will have a primarily Dustbowl feeling with a little Badwater mixed in. Good luck, the map is coming along nicely. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    I updated a map.
    I played the lot and coordinated game balance.

Cylence
    >Purple light on the floor Stage 1, Blu Spawn:

There are various secrets to my map.
    This purple color is a hint of the secret room.
    There is a wall to be able to break at the blue start spot.

>The end of your conveyor belts (nice job making them, BTW) is going the wrong way

It is very difficult for me to revise this.

Because I am a Japanese, I do not understand English.
    It takes time very much to understand it.
    So I do not understand whether I can revise all feedback.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  12. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    I updated a map.

I changed it for the whole stage 3.
    It is mapped the distinction with respect with the former map.

13. DIODIO

Positive Ratings:
    I updated a map.