Hey y'all

Globus Polski

L1: Registered
Dec 2, 2018
I don't usually post on forums like this, but whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Also sorry if I ramble a lot at the start, skip ahead a bit for the stuff that matters a bit more)

(EDIT:Hopefully the screenshots I put here are showing, I'm having difficulties with them on my end)

So this last summer I took up a little personal project, an idea that I had lingering in my mind for a couple years or so but never had the means/motivation to follow through with. I spent a large chunk of my summer playing Frogger for the PS1, a game that probably nobody reading this has ever heard of. My goal was to make maps of every single level in the game, and recreate some(or hopefully all) of them for TF2. I had taken a stab at this once before, but i was stuck with pencil and paper and only YouTube videos to use as reference, nut this time I decided to bite the bullet and sit down with the game myself. The game operates on a grid system, so all I need was a program that i could easily make squares with. So I used the most readily available program I had...Google Slides.

So after months of endless Frogger playing and my cheap laptop crashing countless times, I finally wound up with 39 maps, of which I'll show 4 here for reference sake.

Screenshot (10).png
Screenshot (11).png
Screenshot (14).png
Screenshot (15).png

The game has 39 levels total, but about 10 of those levels are copies of each other, such as the last of the 2 images shows. I plan to combine each pair of clones into 1 level that shares the unique elements of both, bringing the total number of levels I could potentially build down by about 6. This particular set of clones shown here is what I'm basing my first level around.
440_screenshots_20190108194825_1.jpg

The only things I need to learn how to do are music, custom models, cubemaps, and waterfalls, but aside from cubemaps, none of those are required for the map to be functional, and I'm hoping to get and early version released soon once I make a few tweaks to the basic level geometry.

For those worried about hazards, hazards that kill will be either majorly toned down in damage and numbers, or removed entirely.

If any better mappers have tips to offer about good map design, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm really excited about this and I hope my map(s) will be received well by the community.

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
Hello and welcome to TF2maps.net! Hope you stick around!
Anyways I hope you project turns out well.
If you haven't already please pick up https://tf2maps.net/threads/ultimate-mapping-resource-pack.4674/ It will save you lots of headaches.

Some advice for you map with your brief description provided sounds really cool. Some advice I could think of would to be
> Use teleports instead of respawning and waiting. (It's much faster that was and less annoying.)
> Don't be afraid to change the map a bit, Make sure to test the maps lots before final release.
> Stay on grid.
> Don't make walls thinner than 16hu thick; unless for details.
> Save often.
> If you use custom content remember to pack it into the .bsp (https://tf2maps.net/threads/help-with-packing-assests.38353/)

I'd also recommended that you try making some stock maps and testing them aswell as having more experience under you belt will help you in your frogger project.

Good luck, Have fun!