Help with trains in maps

Arby

L1: Registered
Jan 4, 2018
Hello, this is my first post so please be kind.

I've been playing around with hammer and the tf2 mapping resource pack. I know how to make a map with stock tf2 game modes but i ran into a bit of a problem when i started making a new map i was actually going to publish.

Trains.

I wanted to ask questions.
1. How do i get trains with ride-able flatcars like the ones on banana bay to work on my map

2. (this one is more of a modeling question) say i made my own model of a TGR M Class for my map. would i need to model the wheels as a separate object and animate/physics them or would be static on the model.

B!scuit

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 12, 2016
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Train has all the basic instructions for putting together a train in hammer
I've also attached a vmf of how i do trains with flatcars for my map
I find 48hu is a nice height to jump up onto so I use train_flatcar_leveltop.mdl

In regards to your second question, since the TGR M-Class is a steam train I'd recommend animating the engine-car to get that nice piston motion on the wheels
With the flatcars you can get away with no animation at all so long as the texture doesn't make it too obvious

Attachments

• train_example.vmf
    91.3 KB · Views: 132

Arby

L1: Registered
Jan 4, 2018
I would like to thank you both for providing me this useful information. As a reward here is the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise: