Having Issues

Lockhart

L2: Junior Member
Sep 1, 2009
Can someone go through how to set up a forward spawnpoint? (For Payload) I've copied exactly what's done in badwater and it still doesn't work.

Also, why do some of my doors open for blu players even though they're filtered as red team?

Besides that, I'm getting close to a testing version. :) Thanks in advance for any help, I've tried tutorials and other maps but it's so hard to find a specific answer for hammer.

Darth Cyrax

Nov 29, 2008
For the doors, check their flags and make sure 'touch opens' is not checked.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Basically this is what i did for the forward spawns. Not sure if it's correct. But it was simple and works great. =)

Okay, made and name your func_respawnroom trigger for the first spawn: blu_respawnroom
Make and name the func_respawnroom trigger for the forward spawn: blu_forward_respawnroom

Next, put 16-24 however many you feel i guess info_teamspawn guys in the spawnrooms

name all the guys in the first spawnroom for blu: blu_respawnguy
name all the guys in the forward spawn room: blu_forward_respawnguy

now that is the easier part. The tricky part is when do you want the spawnrooms to change?

What your going to want to do is, select the path_track(usually works good on a path that caps a point as well so it doesn't roll back over it) where you want the spawns to change. alt+enter and add 4 outputs to it saying:

OnPass>>blu_respawnroom>>Disable>>0.00
OnPass>>blu_forward_respawnroom>>Enable>>0.00
OnPass>>blu_respawnguy>>Disable>>0.00
OnPass>>blue_forward_respawnguy>>Enable>0.00

and that's it, everyone from the blu team will spawn in teh forward spawn area. =) Hope this works for ya! ;)

Last edited:

Lockhart

Sep 1, 2009
My tracks are made of props, not path_tracks. So I just made a path track entity and parented it to the prop under the control point. I did all of the outputs right as far as I can see.

Still can't get spawn points to switch from their original positions. :(

For my respawn doors none of them had flags for ontouch so I'll have to double check them again to see if they're still bugged.

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Nooooooo no no no, you do you have the path for the train to follow placed yet?

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Here is a screenshot of what it should look like. I'm going to assume that your have the layout path for your payload cart done. IF NOT then you won't be able to do this until you've done so. But down below is an image of basically where it should go.

forwardpsawn.png

Basically... You see the little red box with the bigger box around it in the top left?
That is a path_track that is used for capping the payload point when the cart passes it. Your going to want to click that and press alt+enter and give it the outputs that are boxed in on the right(you can name them what you wish)

Once you have done that, the forward spawn will only work once the payload cart has passed that path_track entity.(aka caps the point) You follow?

Lockhart

Sep 1, 2009
Oooooooooh! That path_track entity. I think I know why it isn't working now. The cart never passed the path_track I was using.

I think I can fix this in a few the next time I'm in hammer. I didn't know the cart's path entities were called path_tracks. Been a while since I laid it out.

I'm so excited for my next step! Trains!

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Hahaha, glad it's all starting to come together for ya!! =)

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
If you wouldn't mind would you want to pass me over the vmf so I can compile and look through it? If not I understand, but if so go ahead and send me a link in a PM. I really don't have a clue without actually taking a look though.

Lockhart

Sep 1, 2009
This will probably be the last update to my thread of issues before I release an alpha of my map. My main issues are twofold.

One: My red spawn between capture points two and three do not switch over properly, and I cannot for the life of my find out why. I've redone the spawn room and its entities twice, and the outputs match up exactly with the blue team's, which works fine.

Two: My trains still teleport! I think I fixed the problem at some point in time with Boojum's help in chat, but it's long since been broken again and now I'm thinking of just leaving them be for alpha because they won't effect gameplay much.

(The issue is the train prop speeds backwards in a straight line before crossing the tracks again a few seconds later, resulting in a line of normal trains that hiccup periodically)

If anyone wants to see or help me with the issue I'm willing to send the .vmf out for them to look at. My main concern is the red spawn point obviously, but any help on either is appreciated. I'll be rather busy after today so I'll reply inbetween school/work. I'm really excited to get my map out soon for playtests and general tomfoolery!

Lockhart

Sep 1, 2009
But apart from the comment about the first page which is weeks old, I still can't fix my red spawn or trains. :(