Hammer start up problem

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
Oh god damn, i wish i had read this before i thought it was just me! I tried reinstalling the sdk and everything, i was freaking out!!! Thanks for that tip Intraman, you rock.

-Buddikaman-

S

Squirrelly

well that was kinda scary coming home to a broken Hammer!

but the workaround works good enough for now at least

thx for the update!

Kernel

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007
As stated prior, only shaded texture view is crashing. Func_respawn visualizer's and other shaders don't display properly anyway in this mode. I have always used 3d textured only views, so i don't have this issue. Just create new map, select 3d textured for camera view, close and reopen your map. You'll be back to business.

T

Thristhart

i have a similar problem, except that i get that error when trying to texture with nodraw. D:

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
I think a lot of people used it becuase on the wiki's "Building your first map in hammer" tells you to use it.

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
Ok. So it's not just me having these issues either. http://www.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=500

Someone on the Steam Forums found a solution to the issue!!

I tried this and it did not work for me.

Oh god damn, i wish i had read this before i thought it was just me! I tried reinstalling the sdk and everything, i was freaking out!!! Thanks for that tip Intraman, you rock.

-Buddikaman-

I did all this too that did not help. :crying:

The fix does not work for me either.

Last edited:
M

Mundinator

I think a lot of people used it becuase on the wiki's "Building your first map in hammer" tells you to use it.

Don't hesitate to change the Valve Wiki. The more people who do the better. I did for the first time the other day and now more people hopefully won't make the same mistake that I did by following the wiki.

jahrain

L1: Registered
Jan 5, 2008
I have experienced the problem since I updated as well. I tried everything from reinstalling hammer/orangebox to updating video drivers etc. However I found out the error is caused by the 3d viewport. It seems when ever the mode is set by default to "3d textured shaded polygons" it crash on start up when loading a map. Also, it will crash when creating a brush, or applying certain textures in that mode.

You can some what get around this issue by first creating a new empty map, set the 3d viewport to "3d textured", saving the map, then reopening your map. It should not crash now that the viewport is not set to default to "3d shaded textured polygons".

timberghost_paintball

L2: Junior Member
Dec 19, 2007
I tried the fix mentioned above and it worked fine for a day. but now it keeps doing it regardless of the 3d view mode (even solid polys and wireframe). Is anyone else having this problem? I got the most recent update (after the one that probably caused the problems) and it still didn't help this problem.