Hammer only loaded brushes?!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Shanghai, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Shanghai

Shanghai L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just opened up my map, and everything that's not a brush didn't show up. Brush-based entities are showing up, but they're just showing up as brushes with properties, not entities. Please help :O

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I had this happen to me on one of my maps (I think backlot iirc)... I didn't find a solution, I just had to redo everything. Sorry :/

3. Shanghai

Positive Ratings:
    -.- I hate Hammer. So much. At least I haven't done much work yet, or else I'd be pretty pissed.

4. Shanghai

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, wait. In my messages thingy in Hammer, it says "Removed 11 object groups with no children"

5. Dark

Dark L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    There is a solution, you've just got a corrupt save file. Go ahead and hit open in hammer. In the open type text box area type "[yourmapname_withanyunderscores]".vmx Hammer saves two copies of you map every time you save, one as a vmf and one as a vmx, they are the same thing just with a different extension. After you save it again it will turn back into a .vmf and you can continue on your marry way as if nothing happened. If that doesn't work you can look for n autosave version under C:/hammerautosaves (or something like that)
    Hope that helps

6. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did you check if your visgroups were messed up?

7. Shanghai

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I tried the autosaves, but Hammer, in its infinite usefulness, made its last autosave on June 8, when I hadn't even built anything. As for the vmx file, it was missing all non-brushes too. I just deleted all my remaining entities and model-related clippings. Time to start them over... -.-

EDIT: NOPE, NOT EVEN TIME TO START OVER. Right after I started editing the map again, Hammer decided it wanted to crash because I resized an areaportal. God dammit, I hate Hammer. I'm going to go play TF2 :<

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011