Hammer crash upon apply custom texture

WeaselsLair

L1: Registered
Jul 11, 2014
...what? no... I was telling him that IS what you do. That is what you are SUPPOSED to do. That's what I have done ever since steampipe landed and it works just fine. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98931/pics/searchpaths.PNG
ALL of my personal content is in my snarkstuff folder. The root/raw folders are supposed to be only stock stuff. Though ultimately it does not matter where you put things. Root, download, custom... they are all read and used equally.

For for the textures in your "snarkstuff" folder, for the associated VMT's are you using "snarkstuff/whatevertexturename" in the path?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
tf\custom\snarkstuff\materials\aboojumsnark\dev_tf2beige.vmt
has:
"$basetexture" "aboojumsnark/dev_tf2beige"
which is referring to:
tf\custom\snarkstuff\materials\aboojumsnark\dev_tf2beige.vtf

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah thats one of the configurations I tried.
I noticed you are using underscores ("_") in some of your texture names.
I have hyphen's ("-") in mine.
Does Hammer (for the preview) or Source (for in-game) only permit certain characters maybe?

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah thats one of the configurations I tried.
I noticed you are using underscores ("_") in some of your texture names.
I have hyphen's ("-") in mine.
Does Hammer (for the preview) or Source (for in-game) only permit certain characters maybe?
Update: Removed the hyphens ("-") from the file names of the VMT's and VTF's, and changed the path inside the VMT's to match (and of course exited and re-opened Hammer). Still no change. Everything shows good in the texture selection/browsing tool. But in the preview window under "3d textured" mode - it's checkerboarded still. Argh! :mad:

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
I'm going to bed but... toss me the files again? I don't really get it... you must have done something else weird because the previous files worked fine when I remade them with lower LOD.

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
I'm going to bed but... toss me the files again? I don't really get it... you must have done something else weird because the previous files worked fine when I remade them with lower LOD.
Yeah, I must be missing something really basic either with Hammer or the textures. I will upload whatever I was testing last and link here in a bit.

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Some sample files, maybe this will work fine for others (in which case, there is just something wrong with my computer or Hammer or something - but I do not know what):
  • Zipped-copy of folder full of VTF's and VMT's: LINK
  • Zipped-copy of the sample map file from Hammer (just a single brush): LINK
  • Screen-capture of the map file (brush) shown in Hammer: LINK
toyblocks-test.jpg

Last edited:

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully somebody will try out those sample textures, and let me/us know if they display fine for them in their Hammer setup. That would help show if the problem is something with my Hammer setup, or the textures themselves.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Holy... I uhh... that is a LOT of materials. I can't take the time to look over them all but I think you are probably going about something excessively. 630 MB of uncompressed lego brick textures is... I don't even know, man.

However, I have the same display problem as you... how many VTF formats have you tried? ...do you really need uncompressed? DXT5 would cut down filesize a TON and should still look fine. I know VTF has a veritable truckload of formats, and I would guess this might just be Hammer not supporting some of them.

But seriously, you need to look for where you can reduce the number of materials you have. Not even a lego map needs over 2000 unique materials.

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, I wouldn't expect any particular map to use more than a dozen of those. But exactly which ones might depend on the needs. 99% of those would only be useful for mimicking a particular brick - otherwise the versions that are "n" by "n" in size would be more commonly used (along with the "fill" textures and various signs). I also would expect to be packing whatever is actually used directly into the BSP file.

In regard to cutting down how many textures, I tried it also with only a few of them (the "fill" textures in 8 color schemes). It did not make any difference. Hammer does not seem to be choking on the number of, or total total size of the textures.

In regard to the formats, I also tried DXT1/DXT5 in addition to (currently used) BGR888/BRGA8888. It did not make any difference. I will probably go back to DXT1/DXT5 for the compression. I went to BGR888/BRGA8888 to see if that (not compressing) made any difference - then happened to leave it that way.

Oddly enough it was the "Choosing an image format" section on this page that made we try specifically DXT1/DXT5 and BGR888/BRGA8888 formats.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
The defaults. DXT1 for regular textures, DXT5 for something with alpha. I'm honestly really confused because I've never experienced this nor remember seeing someone else with the problem.

What is your procedure for making the VTFs?

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
I am use the "convert folder" function from the VTFedit utility. I will try DXT1 / DTX5 again - maybe that was before I dropped the LOD stuff.

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Re-converted the TGA's to VTF's with VMT's using VTFedit. This time, I tried DXT1 (non-alpha textures) and DTX5 (for textures with alpha for transparency). Hammer is still not showing them in the 3d textured preview pane - although they show-up fine in the texture browser/selector. Urshgghw(^(&^(*%(*5!

WeaselsLair

Jul 11, 2014
Update: I think I got this working now. I reconverted everything from TGA again - using VTFedit. This time, I unchecked every box on every tab of the "Options" dialog of the "Convert Folder" feature. Looks like the textures are showing in Hammer now. Re-converting again with at least one option enabled - "Information Resource" stuff like Author, etc. Just want to make sure that was not causing the issue. My suspicion is something in the "mipmaps" options - although, I do not remember setting those on/checked myself - they must have been on by default.

Last edited: