Resource icon

CP Gravity Station A11

Passance

L1: Registered
May 31, 2020
Gravity Station - Mountainside railroad attack/defense map featuring a missile silo and lot of ways to fall to your de

My first ever map - fully functional!

Three control points in an alpine setting. The first stage proceeds from blue spawn on the teetering edge of a cliff, across railyards, through tunnels and over rooftops to the mouth of a large rail tunnel, and next to it a radio tower which contains the first point.

On the other side of the tunnel, a wide bridge crosses the massive chasm between two mountains, with a lethal drop and a low ground flank route below. The second point is a loading dock harboring trainloads of ballistic missiles outside a mysterious mountain base buried in the snow. The defenders are pushed back to spawn further inside their mountain base once the first point is capped.

As the attackers capture the second point, their spawn moves forward and the fighting proceeds into a vast missile silo full of wide open spaces and balconies for rocket jumping and tight, winding corridors for CQC ambushes and flanking scouts and spies, and tactical high ground locations with an unusual spawnroom dynamic.

Buried deep in the back of the missile silo is the command center, and the final point. There's a degree of detailing - pine forests outside the playable area, a train crash in the snowdrift below and a hidden mountain overlook replete with giant missile launchers.

The map is large, but with plenty of cover and close quarters areas for short range classes to shine. Strategically placed obstacles prevent snipers from dominating.

I'm definitely looking to make changes, and to polish things a lot more. I'm looking forward to seeing it played, and already had one friend give some advice and try to break the map - leading me to fix a lighting issue, an issue with the hurtbox that allowed players to access unintended areas, and place more signs to make it clear to both teams how to get to each point, from each spawnroom.

Passance

May 31, 2020
Greatly improved gameplay space and aesthetics, and a new intermediate spawnroom for blu to make pushing 2nd easier. Lots of new cover, fixed a few broken spots/sightlines, and clipped out most roofs. New displacements, and new features adorning some walls.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Passance

May 31, 2020
Eventually well polished and decorated, I think this map is almost ready to be considered in beta. It's looking much better now, with good lighting and gameplay space and lots of aesthetic improvements. The snowdrifts look awesome now!

Read the rest of this update entry...

TheFluffycart

L3: Member
Jul 6, 2019
So I took a look at your map and I'm going to be 100% honest with you. The map is not ready for beta in the slightest. Most of the map feels way too big (Not layout wise, just height). I'd suggest trying to fix your scale before anything else, and make the map feel comfy to play. Another problem is there's a hole in your map leading to the inside of that mountain displacement right inside blue spawn. The little area off of A just doesn't feel like TF2 (You have to rocket jump over to get health, then rocket jump back and lose more health? That doesn't make sense). Red can also camp out in the first spawn, even when they don't own it. This is going to be hell, you should fix that bug. Besides that, it isn't the worst for a first map. I can't wait to see what you take away from this, and apply to maps in the future. By the way, this is all feedback I got from just booting it up on my own. Gameplay may provide more things to fix, and you should definitely look at that and listen to complaints to fix glaring problems. Otherwise, that's all I have for now

Passance

May 31, 2020
Thanks, I appreciate taking the time to give feedback.

I've just compiled a version that fixes the displacement bug and adds doors that close after capping the first point and open again after capping second, so that the spawnroom is out of play. The doors close very slowly, so anyone who spawned before second was capped will have time to get out, but even if they get trapped they can still escape easily by changing class. Do you know if there's a way to add a message or sign or something for anyone who does get trapped, to say "hey, just change class to go to the new spawnroom?"

I really want to keep the island thing by first point. I know it doesn't have a massive impact on the area's gameplay, but I don't think it has to. It just sits there adding to the atmosphere with its snowy radar outpost vibes, kind of like those outlier mountains on Suijin.

That said, I found I could easily jump to it and back with the gunboats for a net 60-70 hp gain, or jump to it with scout using literally any mobility item (FAN, soda popper, winger, atomizer, all make it an easy jump) to just get to a medium health kit and also escape any WM1 pyros. So while it may be almost irrelevant to some classes, it's not entirely useless either, as long as you're using any kind of mobility item.

I get that it's a big map, but I want it to feel big, without breaking the gameplay. With the fences, rooves, and tunnels that break up the big railroad theme, the combat ranges are healthy for various classes. Is it wrong for a map to just... Feel large and open? You know how Doublecross feels quite tight in most places, but in practice is perfect for jumping classes and flanking? I think this is kind of the opposite, where it superficially looks HUGE, but in terms of gameplay space it actually has lots of flank routes and cover that make close range classes perfectly easy to play. And now that it updates the attacker spawn with every single capture, I think the walkback times are ok, even for heavy.

I really am taking your feedback to heart - but some stuff, at the core of the map's aesthetic, I want to keep intact, or else it's... Not really itself anymore. This map is all about the mountainside - putting you on the edge of the abyss, lots of verticality, open air on one side and solid rock on the other. I'm absolutely on board for gameplay changes, but this map is defined by its atmosphere. Making it smaller, not for gameplay reasons but just to make it feel like other TF2 maps, isn't really where I want to go with this.

That said, are there any specific areas/features you particularly think are too high? The 3rd point high ground I'm particularly unsure on. As it is it's pretty difficult for non jumping classes to get up there on blu side - scouts, spies, demo and soldier can get up there easily (and there's a healthkit to heal them from the jump) to destroy sentries, so I figured it would be alright to leave it as is for now, not making ti so accessible to both teams that it's no longer advantageous. I could definitely be persuaded to lower the ceiling on 3rd because it is very tall. Nowhere near the vast size of Well last, but still very big for an indoor space. Obviously made with blast jumping in mind...

TheFluffycart

L3: Member
Jul 6, 2019
Thanks for the reply, it's nice to see what you're thinking. However, the map just doesn't work. You really need to watch the demo file, as it says everything you need to know (The fact that people were begging to skip is a sign your map is a mess). I also do want to say, you didn't optimize the map in the slightest and that's really bad. With how open you made it, everything is rendering at once leading to the game struggling to run. Boot up any official map and do mat_wireframe 3 to see how they do it. I really can't say anything to help your map, other than watch the demo, and probably start from scratch. This is not meant as hate towards you, but rather facts about the map. Sorry in advance (https://demos.tf2maps.net/search/cp_gravitystation_a11 This is the demo, download it, put it in your tf folder, then do playdemo [demo name here] in the console for TF2.)