Got a question about spawn points.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Nov 26, 2010.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    I'm making an achievement/idle map, based slightly off of achievement_idle_funbox_b1/achievement_idle_funbox_b3.

I'm adding an admin room outside of the main map area, and since I won't be using a skybox for this map, everything outside will be black. To hide my room, I've applied the tool_black (or w/e it's called) texture to the outer panels of the walls/floor/ceiling.

But I had an idea pop into my head.

"I wonder if it's possible to create a spawn point in my admin room, and set it to either:

- Check for my Steam ID, and if I'm on the server, spawn me in the admin room, regardless of what team I'm on
    - Check for my name, and if I'm on the server, spawn me in the admin room, regardless of what team I'm on (Didn't like this idea so much, players could change their name to mine and spawn in my room)
    - Somehow use SourceMod to check if anyone with "root" access is on, and if "yes", then spawn root access users inside admin room.

Are any of my above 3 ideas remotely possible?

2. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    I was considering a secret teleporter, or a secret hallway, but I've got RTD on my server, and Noclip is one of the receivable RTD rewards.

That's why I covered the exterior wall panels of my room with the black tool texture. It's virtually impossible to see the room when you noclip out of my level now.

I was hoping there would be a way to make an admin-only or specified-SteamID-only spawn point.

3. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, noclip will work for me. I know where I put the room, how far away from the main map, etc.

It'll be easy for me to noclip to it. As for users who get noclip from RTD, it only lasts 20 seconds, and 20 seconds isn't long enough to find my room :p

Also, I have a second question. I've heard things about putting "protection" on a map file. What does that mean, what does it do, and how can I do it to my map?

4. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    No carving for anyone! ....try making a keypad or something similar eg sequence of buttons etc

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Protection is probably unnecessary. No-one's REALLY going to decompile your map.

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The map cannot check any steam info, but a plugin could absolutely do it.

Covering the outside of your room in black is useless, since faces touching the void are culled during compile, you would need to double wrap the room (like a thermos) and have the inner walls black. You would also need an info_target or something in there so the entity-less space doesn't get removed.

If you do end up using sourcemod to teleport/spawn yourself in the room, the easiest way to protect the room from noclip intruders is simply to encase the whole thing in a trigger_teleport box, then no one can enter it, period, without teleportation.

Decompile "protection" is pointless, it was something specifically coded into one decompiler app but hacked versions of it exist anyway. Plus if you go the trigger_teleport method, it wouldn't matter if people know where the box is.

7. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Ahhh. I was wondering about that teleport thing.

I had played on some GMOD servers before and a guy had built a "grief proof" house that you couldn't noclip into.

Luckily for me he left a section open by accident so I noclipped in and spawned a whole bunch of huge trees inside, then zipped back over to the other side of the map and pretended to make a car.

Few seconds later I see "HOLY **** WHO PUT ALL THESE TREES IN MY HOUSE?!". Laughter ensued :p

I'll switch over to the trigger_teleport method then :D