Good custom maps for public servers...

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by WARHURYEAH, May 10, 2010.

1. WARHURYEAH

WARHURYEAH L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yo, I'm the admin of Gamers-Retreat and we are having a problem with selecting some decent custom maps for our server...

The problem is that we are fairly new, and the servers are a struggle to start up (the custom one mainly, the rotation and dustbowl 24/7 can be pretty easy), so we are on the lookout for some relatively decent maps to run on our custom map server!

We want to move away from the grindy orange_x_bsomethingproextreme maps and try some maps that are pretty well known in the community or at least decent to hold some players.

We are also looking for some maps to give a trial run on our servers, so I will be browsing the forums to see if any maps would be good for the 32 man custom maps and give you some feedback as well.

Anyway, we are open to suggestions for what maps to run on rotation so send me some links and we will take a look at them.

Cheers,
    WAR

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
  3. WARHURYEAH

Positive Ratings:
    Any maps in that mahoooosive list you would 100% recommend for a 32 slot server?

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
  5. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    Meridian isn't good for public servers. The filesize scares people off.

6. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    i'd say swiftwater, redfort and smb_castle - simply cos they play alright, and have enough age that people recognise them

(though good luck finding smb_castle... i think it's on fpsb somewhere but i'm not sure)

7. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    What TPG said

8. UFO

UFO L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
  9. WARHURYEAH

Positive Ratings:
    Another question, the ctf map competition going on, would any of those be suitable for rotation?

Also, is there a server that's playing these maps 24/7? If not, I could try and work something out here...

10. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:

If you can find a server with mature enough people, you can do this medieval sort of mode on Redfort. Only use arrows, piss, eyelander, etc etc. Stuff that would exist in old times. It doesn't disrupt the balance of the map at all and it's really really fun.

There's no actual mod, so it's really just up to everyone keeping their word they won't use guns/flamethrower/etc.

11. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    There is actually a medieval tf2 server mod somewhere, although ive never played it.

You should wait a week till the contest entries are all updated, and have a look through them, or just wait for the contest to finish.

But keep in mind that those maps are made for 6 v 6 comp, not for 32 pub servers.

Oh and, you could check the maps from the last contests we had.

12. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Those maps are made for a competive environment. I don't really think any of these would work good for a 32 man server

The TF2Maps.net servers are running contest maps 24/7 right now

13. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some maps coming into my mind are: pl_frontier, pl_swiftwater, cp_coldfront and cp_vertigo

Best way to get to see new maps is joining the tf2maps playtest sessions, or similar events from other communities like (shameless advertisement) our PlayStuff.net BluePrint event.

Good luck on the custom server! I like communities which support mappers!

14. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Keep in mind that custom maps that are at a playable level are often massive. If your server doesn't have a redirect, I recommend getting one, and a good one at that.

15. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
  16. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    pl_swiftwater, pl_frontier, pl_cashworks. I've always been a fan of cp_bloodstained and cp_vertigo too. Both are not very well known, but both are fun with small or high player counts.
    That said, I'm not sure about 32 man, only played em on 24.