Global Timer in Arena Map

Radenska

L2: Junior Member
Jan 31, 2008
So, I've been working on a map that twists the Arena rules slightly. Essentially the middle control point is open once the round starts (instead of after 1 minute), but it sets off a train that you can hop on to escape a Trigger_Hurt that is also activated. The thing is that I want the Trigger_hurt to not be controlled by the capture, but by a global timer of say 3 minutes - thus the environment controls it rather than the player. So, there's a bit of a rush to beat the other team, but if things stalemate, everyone could die regardless.

My issue is that while the triggers all work, the train works, and the arena rules seem pretty similar enough to understand, the 3 minute timer goes away once the Arena match is initiated. I can see it when waiting for players to join, but the second I throw a bot in, and the 10 sec countdown starts, it just doesn't display on the HUD, nor does it activate the trigger at all.

I'm wondering if I'm using the timer entity wrong in general, or if it just doesn't agree with the Arena game-mode. Here's my parameters/outputs in case it helps:

Parameters for team_round_timer:
Start Disabled: No
Timer Length: 180s
Max Time Length: 180s
Start Paused: Yes
Setup Timer Length: 0s
Reset timer on round restart: No
Use countdown sounds:Yes
Show timer in the in HUD : Yes

Output:
OnFinished / (target entity, in this case the trigger_hurt) / Toggle / Delay of 5.5 seconds

Now, I set the same output to the math_controller that ends the round, just OnHitMax, and it worked perfectly fine. Thanks for any help!

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
How about having the regular timer start at round start. maybe for only a sec, maybe ten.

Then it triggers the damage timer to start.

Parameters for team_round_timer:
Start Disabled: YES
Timer Length: 180s
Max Time Length: 180s
Start Paused: Yes
Setup Timer Length: 0s
Reset timer on round restart: No
Use countdown sounds:Yes
Show timer in the in HUD : Yes

I don't know, but maybe the problem is they both go off at once and you need to actually start this one after the timer for capping is done so you don't have 2 of them cometeing for hud.