Gauntlet

CP Gauntlet b5

Cylence

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2009
Alright, the third beta is now up.

Several changes were made; hopefully for the better. In short, I fixed the trains, shortened the spawn times, made the map more accessible to every class, and revamped one of red spawn's exits.

Any critique is appreciated and thank you for your support.

Cylence

Sep 5, 2009
Fourth beta now up!

I tried to make it easier for blu team to attack points B and C.

On point B, I removed the sentry nook entirely by putting down a pile of boxes and the like which has the enjoyable side-effect of offering a view out the window if you jump up and down on the top piece of junk.

On point C, I moved the far-back window on the point C structure to the left side and widened both windows so that any sentries on the point could be harassed more effectively from afar or from the adjacent building.

Also, the point C area has been reworked quite extensively. All classes can travel to point C from the point B roof by traversing the top of the boxcars. The boxcars also limit sight-lines on the point which I hope will encourage the defenders to spread out. While I reduced the potency of the two strongest sentry positions, the point C area now has many reasonably effective and vulnerable sentry spots.

Thank you to everybody who gave feedback on test day and on DrHim's Server.

Cylence

Sep 5, 2009
I and the DrHim's community have recently discovered the cause of the past random passenger deaths as well as a new bug with the trains. It turns out that the train is stopped dead if two people are touching while riding the train. That is right; the train stops for no man, but it'll be so taken aback by the loving relationship between a medic and his heavy that it just doesn't have the heart to deliver them into battle.

The reason for the random train death bug in the third beta was that the first train had 9001 damage on crush. A redundant figure still on there from when I was first testing it. I just never thought to remove it when I found out it wasn't necessary. When people would touch on the train, it would be "blocked" by them and then it would kill them.

Soon I'll release a small beta with that bug hopefully removed along some little tweaks to make things a bit easier on blu.

Mar 23, 2010
dam nice map.

what is that little wood bridge thing connecting the containers in 1st/2nd pic? would find some use for it in my map.

Cylence

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for the compliments :)

The wood/bridge thing is a couple of detail brushes whose verticies I messed around with. They are textured with a wood beam texture (beam2 I think).

Cylence

Sep 5, 2009
I recently compared my trains to those of the official maps and the only properties that differed were the speeds. So, to make sure that it wasn't the speeds that were causing the problem I tested out the official cp_freight and ctf_well and found that the trains in those maps suffered from the same bug as my map. I submitted a bug report to VALVe so perhaps they'll do something about it.

picture.php

picture.php

In the meantime I'm searching for a work-around. Remembering that people often crowd on top of a bomb cart in payload map, I checked the bomb carts in the ABS Gametype Library. It seems that bomb carts have the flag "Is unblockable by player" checked while environmental trains do not. So I tried checking that flag on my trains. It fixed being able to stop the train through the previous bug, but the train now merges people into the map geometry.

picture.php

Cylence

Sep 5, 2009
Beta 5 is out.

Unfortunately, I could not find a decent work-around for the train stopping bug. So, this update just has some needed balance and optimization changes.

Point C needed to be a bit easier to assault, so when B is captured blu will receive a forward spawn and red will be given a longer spawn time. Also, red spawn's resupply cabinet that was closest to the point was removed.