Fool Hill

Fool Hill b2

Feb 14, 2008
Map played great for me. I can remember that there were some oddities such as the door models at spawn 1 being too narrow for the walls.

Can you elaborate? I'm just checking in Hammer now.

EDIT: This?

ahthisproblem.JPG

No idea why that happened, but I've just fixed it :)

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
2.jpg

You don't need this portal here.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Shouldn't these be world-brushes?

6.jpg

7.jpg

Same as above. Remove the portal and make this door a world-brush.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Use world brushes on things that wont open.

Feb 14, 2008
Thanks Psy, I'm not too hot on areaportals. Afaik, they are all closed portals, but I assume having them as world brushes is a better option.

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
the layout of this map is pretty sweet. I didnt play 6v6 on it yet but I ran scout on it during the playtesting yesterday.

My first problem is you have wayyy to much health at middle. Theres a medium health in both team's houses on either side of the point, than theres a medium health pack behind those houses on the ledges.

Remove one or resize them accordingly. I found scouting on the map super easy even without a medic because i could just jump from house to ledge and get full health at all times.

Pushing last is also a concern of mine. There is really no reason to use the lower entrance with the ramp to get to last. I'm sure there is a better alternative but I haven't really checked it out much yet, I'lll try to get it comp tested this week, LAST EXAM IS IN 5 HOURS =D but yeah its looking good.

Feb 14, 2008
the layout of this map is pretty sweet. I didnt play 6v6 on it yet but I ran scout on it during the playtesting yesterday.

My first problem is you have wayyy to much health at middle. Theres a medium health in both team's houses on either side of the point, than theres a medium health pack behind those houses on the ledges.

Remove one or resize them accordingly. I found scouting on the map super easy even without a medic because i could just jump from house to ledge and get full health at all times.

Pushing last is also a concern of mine. There is really no reason to use the lower entrance with the ramp to get to last. I'm sure there is a better alternative but I haven't really checked it out much yet, I'lll try to get it comp tested this week, LAST EXAM IS IN 5 HOURS =D but yeah its looking good.

Only scouts/soldiers/demos can access that pack easily, I'd argue it's not really part of the mid fight. They've never been a problem before in 6v6 testing- you're actually the first to comment :)

I made the upstairs route because last point was too hard to capture in 6v6. Whilst this might make the lower route less useful, you need options. It's like in Badlands last point where most teams take the upper route to uber in, but sometimes take bottom right or bottom main to push in.

I see what you're saying, but we'll have to see it plays out, because a lot of those features were added as a result of testing (albeit testing several months ago).

I'll be looking forward to the playtesting :D

Last edited:

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
cp_fool_hill_b10001.jpg

Hit my head on this when I tried to rocket jump up. Nothing riles me up more than an obtrusive prop.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The brushes here are misaligned (only on RED's side, the door that opens to mid)
5f7e00cpfoolhillb10001.jpg

This sign is solid
285000cpfoolhillb10002.jpg

The two piles of barrels and debris can be jumped on to access the side route. I'd clip them
cdb000cpfoolhillb10003.jpg

Feb 14, 2008
My clipping's not brilliant, cheers for that :)

(I knew about that brush misalignment, but I have no idea why it happened :()

Feb 14, 2008
Updated to Beta 2!

cp_fool_hill_b20000.jpg

Code:
Beta 2 10/02/10:-
- Bug Fixes:/
   * Fixed teams being shown each other's points on spectator cameras
   * Fixed some spawn doors having a locked symbol on the inside
   * Fixed RED's garage doors having no sound effect
   * Fixed some shadow bugs
   * Fixed RED rocket in BLU base
   * Fixed door misalignment at RED's first spawn
   * Fixed brush misalignment in RED's mid house
   * Fixed final point occasionally being unblockable (no really!)
- Improvements:
   * Improved some model collisions
   * Improved lighting in some areas
   * Improved optimisation at middle
   * Added 3D Skybox
   * Improved colouring of custom RED concrete texture
   * Improved use of areaportals
   * Clipped cover wall overlooking valley
   * Rebuilt game entity systems
   * Reduced file size by 20mb
- Balancing:
   * Upgraded some ammo packs
      - Balcony pack -> medium
      - Valley overlook pack -> medium
   * Downgraded valley overlook health pack from medium to small
   * Adjusted spawn wave times
      - MID: both teams have 10s
      - 2ND: attackers have 6s defenders have 10s
      - 1ST: attackers have 5s defenders have 10s
      - Makes 2nd point easier to capture

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1085379/cp_fool_hill_b2.zip

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Right, here are some minor detail nitpicking pictures, I hope at least some help. :p
Not much to say about the gameplay, it seemed a little stalemating, but this is my 2nd time playing, so... Yeah.

cp_fool_hill_b20000.jpg

Need some concrete here!

cp_fool_hill_b20001.jpg

Yeah, uh, this is really minor, but this trim doesn't look right.

cp_fool_hill_b20003.jpg

Work on perfecting your clipping so you don't accidentally, say, slip into this doorway when running backwards.

cp_fool_hill_b20005.jpg

Missing dirt track piece.

cp_fool_hill_b20006.jpg

Honestly, this is too much red brick... I don't like this view much. I think at least your smaller buildings should have different textures.

cp_fool_hill_b20007.jpg

One thing I find weird are all the wooden ramps inside a concrete storage building. They look out of place because they're wooden, but it's also strange that your map has a complete lack of stairs.

cp_fool_hill_b20008.jpg

You don't usually put doorways on walls, unless you're going to load something through them, but then they're probably larger. This one looks weird.

cp_fool_hill_b20010.jpg

Floating barrel.

cp_fool_hill_b20011.jpg

These are nonsolid. You should make them solid and then clip them.

cp_fool_hill_b20012.jpg

RED has a blue barrel.

cp_fool_hill_b20013.jpg

And BLU has a red sign.

pekken

L1: Registered
May 5, 2008
You can stand on the edge of almost every roof on the map.

Especially on middle and red first cp

Feb 14, 2008
You can stand on the edge of almost every roof on the map.

Especially on middle and red first cp

On the red side only actually, but I take your point.

And BLU has a red sign.

That's not a red sign :/

Thanks for the feedback Muffin. I'm going to focus on improving clipping and fixing the stalemates at the final point for Beta 3. Oh yeah, and those wooden things in the RED concrete side, think back to Badwater's room of similar visual design, connected to the final choke of the map, that's sort of what I was going for there.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
b2 is pretty nice! You have some clipping to take care of on the red side, and minor props and stuff on blue side.. It's all a bit much to screencap so I'll leave you with these 2 commands:
r_drawclipbrushes 2
vcollide_wireframe 1

Don't forget the windows, a pretty harmless bug, but annoying if people think they're funny by 'testing' it over and over.

SS-2010.02.28-00.22.42.jpg

Just a suggestion to try and eliminate a few rooms and doorways. Watch out for the overhanging ledge though, as you said it's not a good design!

SS-2010.02.28-00.31.05.jpg

Removing the wall and making the doorway double size should make this area much smoother to play in, I don't think there should be any optimization problems with this, but watchout for anything.
I did not spend a lot of time to consider these changes but nevertheless it's what I came up with when looking for flow improvements. Since I didn't think much while drawing these, I hope you will take a closer look before implementing anything :)

Last edited: